Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgrdinh

How to stop grass weeds from growing while dymondia taking root

dgrdinh
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm an absolute beginner and only started because I bought a house. I want to make a low maintenance garden and thought dymondia is a good ground cover choice for so-California. The previous lawn was not grass but some kind of creeping plant that likes a lot of water. I stopped watering for 3 months and removed all the dead plants. I am not a pro but from what I learned on the internet I would identify my soil is somewhere inbetween sandy and clay. I can't form a ball with the moist soil that sticks together, and it does not form ribbons if I squeeze it between my fingers. At the same time, it seems much more sticky than just plain sand when wet, although it is gritty. Any how, I planted dymondia just now (early December in so cal) and as I started watering bits a single leaf grass is popping up. I'm pretty sure if I don't do anything they will overgrow my dymondia, since they popup within days, and my dymondia doesn't seem to grow much...I hear it might take months. So...what do I do. Some one told me to use Round Up and don't spry the dymondia, is that the right approach. What happens if I get a bit of it on the dymondia, is the plant going to die?

Thanks, I am a total newb but I have big dreams for my piece of the planet! Thanks.

Comments (6)