Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thorny tree (palo verde??) in need of help

Posted by monster_energy 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 21:15

first off, i have a thorny tree in my front yard and i am unsure of its name. i think it might be a type of palo verde but i cant be certain. second, i think it might have some sort of a problem because it has lost the few leaves it had and it is changing from green to a brown, almost lifeless color. i am unsure of whether it might need more or less water (it is on a drip system with a 4 gph head for 8 minutes twice a day). also, the bark appears to be cracking in some places and i peeled a piece off (see photo) to discover a blackish color.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

thank you for your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thorny tree (palo verde??) in need of help

I'm no expert on desert plants, but I will throw in my 2-cents worth. The tree is a palo verde. Not sure what type. It appears from the first photo that a large chunk of the tree is dead. The bark should stay green, even in the winter. The last photo looks really bad. When the bark can be peeled off easily and there is mold growing underneath, it is a sign that that branch is dead. You might be able to cut out the dead branches and see what you have left. But, it might just be that the tree is old and is dying.
As far as the irrigation goes, I wouldn't keep a palo verde on drip irrigation. These are highly drought tolerant trees. After they are established, they can get by on whatever mother-nature provides. They will look a little more lush with irrigation, but it isn't essential. However, if you are going to irrigate, it is better to deep-irrigate less frequently, rather than give the tree a half-gallon twice a day.
I hope this helps.

o
RE: thorny tree (palo verde??) in need of help

Stop watering it so much! The amount you are watering it would keep a cottonwood alive much less a desert tree such as this. The rot you are seeing is VERY indicative of this.

Please study up on the requirements of this native plant. You are killing it with kindness, unfortunately. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here