Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting

Posted by Kaeleb 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 23:53

I actually have two questions: First is if I were to plant an Australian Gum Tree here, would it live? And second; I know that you cannot cross-breed trees that are not of the same species. However, if I were to graft branches from a Crimson King Maple to my Australian Gum Tree, would the Eucalypt reject said branches? I am extremely new to planting. In fact, this is literally my first attempt and my first time seeking knowledge. Thank you all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting

Hi Kaeleb,
First, where is "here"? You don't mention where you live and it's not on your page so ...
Second, by "Australian Gum Tree" do you mean Eucalyptus? If so, which one specifically? There are over 500 species of eucalyptus, do you have a particular one in mind?
Third, why do you want to graft maple branches onto a "gum tree"?
Theoretically you can graft anything to anything but successful grafts are usually made onto related/similar stock. Citrus varieties are usually grafted onto citrus stock, stonefruits onto stonefruit, rose onto rose, etc. Maple and eucalyptus, not much in common there. And again, why?
You stated you are "extremely new to planting", welcome to the gardening community! Your interest and enthusiasm are to be commended so hold onto those but study up on your botany and horticulture basics a little bit more.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here