Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexgrace_gw

Greenhouses and an 8 yo boy

AlexGrace
21 years ago

My son wanted a greenhouse for Christmas, so we bought him a two-tiered, plastic encased greenhouse. We have no idea what to do with it and have TONS of questions. These are just a couple:

1. How warm does it have to be outside before we can start to use it?

2. What's the best type of plant for an 8 yo boy to start with?

3. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• hoehum
    21 years ago

Go to the Winter Sowing forum and read the Faq. He can actually start planting seeds now, though they won't sprout till spring.

It's a very active forum with many threads. There are several about mini greenhouses and hoop houses.

• wildbill
    21 years ago

Hmmmmm -

I got my first Carnivorous Plant at that age, a cobra lily which I kept in a terrarium - been hooked ever since. Many CP's well in greenhouse settings. For some ideas, take a look at the book, The Savage Garden, by Peter D' Amato, if your library has it.

Another fun thing is to cut off the top (1 inch plus greens)of a pineapple, let it dry a few days then plant it & it will grow!

Good luck.

Bill

• beachcitymom
    21 years ago

Hey there, Wild Bill --

We had no luck with our Venus Fly Trap. It withered and died almost immediately. We live in southern California, so sun isn't a problem, but maybe it was too dry? My bloodthirsty little boys would love a carnivore plant, but I don't want to have another die needlessly. One problem may be that our cat loves to catch bugs and eat them, so perhaps the plant wasn't getting enough food. What can we feed one?

Pam

• wildbill
    21 years ago

Hi Pam -

Sorry to hear about the VFT. Sometimes when you buy them at garden or hardware stores they are already on their way out.... I have had great success with plants I ordered from California Carnivores and also from Cook's Carnivorous plants.

1). Only water a VFT with rainwater, or distilled water.
    2). Use the "tray method". Set the potted plant in a dish or tray and when you water, pour it into the tray - make sure there is 1/4 to 1 inch water in the tray.
    3). You don't have to feed it. If you do, no hamburger meat. Just bugs - about 1/3 the size of a trap.

For more info, go to www.sarracenia.com & look for the FAQ section.

Once you get the hang of a VFT, another fun thing you can try is a window box or mini bog with a pitcher plant, sundew, and venus flytrap.

Good luck.

Bill

• catmint
    21 years ago

I applaud you & your son!
    You can grow soooo much great stuff.
    our school greenhouse gets too hot to use in the summer! No A/C but we do have heat.
    Here's some of what we're growing in there now in New York:
    carrots, tomatoes, herbs such as tarragon, oregano, parsley, also coleus, cuttings from christmas cactus, spider plant offsets (babies), bulbs. Notice these are almost all sun loving plants. Even during the dead of winter low light plants get fried.
    The possiblilities are endless. Try beans too; there are so many varieties, basil...
    Have fun!

• citrus_master
    18 years ago

What about a lemon tree from henryfields.com
    Also a pineapple would be very easy to grow (if you don't think he will get stuck by the stickers). It will be very easy because you can start a pineapple from a store brought pineapple and the plant can be under and over watered without killing it. Also it can be easily growen in a pot.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions