Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice please: mother's day project for scouts

Posted by sari z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 02 at 14:28

A greenhouse the local university was giving away little 2 1/2 inch clay pots. I was able to get enough for my brownie and junior girl scout troop. I've put them through the dishwasher a couple times, and they've cleaned up nicely. I hope any diseases have been killed too.

I was thinking, what kind of little flowers/herbs would you suggest growing in such small pots? And when would they need to be planted to be blooming by mother's day?

Also, what kind of paints are good for decorating clay pots? I was thinking about spray painting them all with spray enamel myself and then letting the girls write on them with paint pens. That seems to be the least messy solution. Any other ideas?

Thanks, sara :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice please: mother's day project for scouts

We had a class of 15 girls use sponges in assorted shapes (hearts, circles etc.) and choices of three spring colors. We ended up with a nice variety of pots. Since we weren't able to plant--this was a quickie project--we bought a flat of pansies or was it impatiens? (my mind is going... *LOL*).

Hope this helps.

o

herbs are good because they are generally pretty drought tolerant. Thyme, for instance. Unfortunately I've had trouble keeping lavender or rosemary alive in smallish pots. Also, you might try funky succulents like haworthia, aloe, sedum. They are a sure bet.

o

I do Daisies and we are planning to copy a little project my son's teacher did last year. Forget-me-nots in jiffy plugs set down in the little pots. She had painted the pots a nice blue and then let each child make a flower design (simple daisy type) by dipping their finger tip in paint and dabbing it on. She painted each child's name and date on them. Easy and real cute, too. Good luck!

o

Paint Advice: Childrens Tempera paint will wash off. So the paints need to be acryllic to hold up. Also, don't totally seal the pot with paint on the outside or the moisture will cause the paint to flake off in a very dramatic fashion. Experience speaking. Consider dropping in some packing peanuts (non water soluable kind) into the bottom for drainage.

o

how bout chives

o

the only thing I ever seen pots that small used for is to start off seeds
but of course I just started gardening so there is alot I havent seen yet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here