Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with project

Posted by gardenluv 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 23:57

I have a 6 year old son who loves gardening and learning. I wanted to combine the two together and I bought a huge map of the U.S. If anyone has pictures of their state flower, tree, bird etc. or even pics of something neat in the area in which you live we would like to print it out and tack it up on our map. That way, he can learn about where states are, what is in them, and what grows where etc. I thought he would enjoy this much better than just reading it online or in a book. Or, if you have a child that would like to swap "garden buddy penpal" letters with him, that would be cool too. You can either post here, or email me. I would really appreciate help with our project.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with project

What a wonderful mother you are to encourage your son's interests this way.

Here's a shot of a saguaro cactus in the Sonora Desert which is in Arizona but also extends into California and Mexico. The saguaros often look like people waving to you as you pass by. The "arms" don't grow until the cactus is about 65 years old.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As far as California goes, here is our flower, the California Poppy:

Here's a beautiful book about vegetable gardening which your son would enjoy:

Here is a link that might be useful: How Groundhog's Garden Grew

o

What a great idea! I also have a six year old son who is very interested in far away places. I would like to encourage my son, Ryan, to send your son a letter and perhaps become penpals. Ryan gets very excited whenever he receives mail with his own name on it. Please send your son's name and address if you are interested. My email is zimberquattor2007@yahoo.com
~Chandra O'Leary

o

Thank you so much for the pictures and info socks.

zimberquattor, you have mail.

o

How Groundhog's garden grew is a GREAT book. We got it out from the library, and as an avid gardener I just loved the true to life illustrations.

My son will be 6 at the end of the month.

Here is what our state looks like right now.

Believe it or not, we have bluebirds here in the winter, a flock of them.

What state are you in?

Here is a link that might be useful: New York State bird - blue bird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here