Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting the Garden

Posted by palyne Zone 6a NE OK (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 04 at 0:22

I've decided to plan at least one early Spring 'garden party' for my 7 year old. We have high, raised cinder block beds, and containers. I'm thinking we will use white Killz to paint over the cinder blocks outside on one side, that'll be a good base, and then invite a bunch of kids--paints and brushes and some stamps provided -- to paint a picture on each of the blocks.

We could send out invitations with paper included -- a rectangle like the block that they can practice drawing something on, to plan. Use my digital camera to take pics of each kid for their parents (just print on paper), and as a group around the wall. That sounds like fun to me!

I suppose it wouldn't kill me to arrange a small pot with some of the bed soil and some radish/carrot seeds for each kid too, and they could paint their can or pot. That way everybody gets to garden. :-)

I like this idea. If we do it--I intend to--I will post some pics and a link here. Seems like a nice way to liven up an otherwise ugly grey block garden!!

Does anybody have any other ideas for a kids 'garden party' that could contribute to the garden and be fun as well?

Palyne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting the Garden

What a great idea! How about dirt cupcakes with gummy worms?
If you don't mind I am goingto steal your idea. Becky

o
RE: Painting the Garden

What a great idea! I love it!!!

You could have the kids sponge paint flowers on terra cotta pots. Then they could either plant in it, or you could insert oasis foam (from a florist) and use lollipops as flowers. You can have the kids cut out a flower shape from construction paper and glue it to the lollipop, plus leaves from green construction paper.

Decorate with the big mylar butterfly balloons.

Give them one of the 10 cent packet of seeds in a grab bag to take home, along with a small plastic trowel and maybe a pair of kid's sized gardening gloves (if you can find them inexpensively).

Here is a whole long list of garden party ideas:
http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/garden_party.html

Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here