Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glorybee_gw

Animal Garden

glorybee
22 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for creative minds :).

Plannning on using black mulch for a children's garden this year.I want to do an animal theme because I thought that leopard spotted type flowers would *Pop* against the black mulch.I don't want it to look tacky though so I am open to using different colors.I want to put in lamb's ears, tiger lilys,lion's tail,bunny grass,etc. And incorporate small statues peeking through to go with the theme.The boys love gardening but they also love to play so we are looking for ideas for a neat nook for them to read or maybe a sand box.

The ground is really rocky here so I don't know how big to go with it.Any ideas? Thanks, Heidi S~

Comments (5)

• sari
    22 years ago

If you're making a sandbox, I would reccommend using cross ties or similar for the outside edge, and "paving" underneath it with bricks or tiles or whatever you have on hand. My dad did that for our second sandbox, and it really kept the sand much cleaner and kept most of it in the box. The crossties also made a nice foundation for my "treehouse" which was really a house on stilts, and not actually in a tree, but it is still great after 15 years and has stood through two hurricanes when houses nearby did not.

oh, and as for plants, I would suggest berries :) everyone loves them, especially the bears.

-sara :)

• bronmermom
    22 years ago

When you said leopard spotted type flowers and black mulch, all I could envision was an outline of a giant leopard covered in black plastic with x's where the flowers pop through the plastic.

I guess you didn't have animal shapes in mind for the flower bed--but maybe it would work.

• dougt
    22 years ago

A little garden pond surrounded by all those flowers would be cool. You wouldnt need much just something small with a fountain would really peek their interest. A couple of frogs or a gold fish would make their day. Get one of those alligator statues next to it. You just gave me a great idea.

• Bastin
    21 years ago

GloryBee,
    I would love to hear how your project came out! What types of animals (and decor) did you use? Where they all plants, animals painted on the walls or do they "roam" the garden? What types of playground equipment where you able to incorporate? It really sounds wonderful and I think you may have inspired me on to my next project. Thanks!

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    19 years ago

Don't forget the plants with animal names. We're considering a zoo garden. Here's the compiled list so far after searching for previous threads on this subject, all may not be easy to grow or sutable for kids, but there are some good ones on here.
    Dandelions
    Rattlesnake bean
    Rat Tail Radish
    Lion's Ear (herb)
    Tigger Melon
    tiger lily
    hens and chicks,
    lambs ears,
    colts foot
    gooseneck loosestrife
    worm wood
    cardinal flower
    Bee Balm
    Snap dragon
    OX-eye Daisy
    TOAD Lily
    SNAKE Root
    OSTRICH Fern
    BUTTERFLY Bush
    Chelone 'Pink TURTLEhead'
    LEOPARD'S Bane
    FOXglove
    CATtails
    CATnip
    CATmint
    BUTTERFLY weed
    SPIDER lily
    BEAR's breeches
    SHRIMP plant
    catch-FLY
    BURRO tail sedum
    CRANEsbill geranium
    teddyBEAR sunflower
    Zebra Grass
    MOUSE-ear coreopsis
    DOGtooth violet.
    RATTLESNAKE master.
    HAWKweed
    SNAKEhead fritillaria
    SQUIRL corn
    BUNNY tail grass
    COLTS foot
    PUSSY toes
    GOATS beard
    MOSQUETO plant
    HENNY penny
    TROUT lily
    calendula PORKYPINE
    CAT grass
    horeHOUND
    PARTRIDGE pea
    raggid ROBIN
    shoFLYl
    SPIDER flower
    TICKseed
    Cow Slobber (Tradescantia) is my all time favorite common name.
    dogwood
    Thanks for getting the hard scape suggestions started. I'd appreciate hearing about any of the animal decore ideas that come up on this thread in case I can't find it again.
    Hope this helps,
    Catrina

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions