Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avacado seeds

Posted by cncnorman z7 FW/TX (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 04 at 10:28

Hi there. I know this topic has been run on and on but I do have a new ?.

I have tried to get three seeds to sprout with my little girls and they are having fun learning about this process. The best seed was sprouted under the kitchen sink wrapped in a moist paper towel in a ziploc baggie. Well, so they could see it I took the seed out and placed it in my rock water fountain so that they could watch it. The seed has split in half and one side has a thickish something coming out of it. (root or stem) Now here is the question part. How do I know if this is the root part or the stem? I mean theoretically I would think that the roots would develop first right? Do ya'll reckon that I should keep the two pieces together as long as possible?

Many thanks -
Christina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado seeds

Roots go down stems go up. It works that way. Let the parts separate on their own. I like to pinch the plant when it has 2 true leaves it then develops into an attractive bush.

Ethan

spelling checked with ieSpell

o
RE: Avacado seeds

I understood the general principles of root and stem develpments. My problem was that the baggie was laid down on its side so I couldn't tell which was which was developing. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here