Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kids in the seedlings

Posted by dwayne_hoover sunset 19 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 17:23

Boy it sure is hard to keep the kids out of the freshly planted seedlings. I try to make it clear to the little scoundrels where they can and cannot go yet the two and four year olds just don't get it. My eight year old is good but the little ones will somtimes just stomp right across the seedlings. Not to mention the neighbor's dogs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kids in the seedlings

Maybe you can have the kids decorate a border of rocks,brick,etc.with paint,and have them help place the items to help remind them. I find that if I make it their "special" place too, the kids tend to be more careful.
As for the dogs-if you figure something out let me know--no matter what I do-my dobie still goes and tramples and digs my seedlings and bulbs
Good Luck

o

• Posted by Trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 23, 04 at 12:27

Try spritzing the dog with a water gun you keep hidden in your pocket when he goes into the beds. Dogs hate getting spritzed, and if you add to it hollering and shaming they learn extremely fast.

o

I think i'm getting the point across to my four year old now. I have been involving him more in the garden so he has a vested interest in it. My two year old just wants to copy everything I do so if I start to dig he's gotta dig also. I think I might be able to teach him to dig in his special area( an area with unimportant plants in it).

o

Explaining to my 3-year old daughter that she can help the baby plants grow big by talking/singing to them (and not stepping on them) seems to work. Unless you dont want your kids talking to the plants....I think its super. :)

o

Step one: Go to home depot. (preferably without your kids so you can have a break)

Step two: purchase roll of plastic fencing for less than $20 and a pack of wooden stakes

Step three: pull out the handy dandy staple gun

Grand Finale: stick stakes in ground around the garden, have someone help you hold the fencing while you staple, and viola! dog free and kid free.

PS- hollering and shamingmay work for the dog but is useless with a 15 month old. been there done that ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here