Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The ultimate garden handbook

Posted by takadi (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 20:01

I know this forum is technically for kids, but I'm a beginner who wishes for the ultimate gardening handbook that lists behaviors of plants, their needs, recommendations, fertilizer requirements, etc, preferably about herbs. I got the idea when I saw those little information stubs they stick into potted plants when they sell them that tells you when the plant germinates and what you need to do to germinate them, where and when to plant them, how much sun and water and warmth they need, and other stuff. I'm sure there has to be one book out there that is a complete comprehensive guide for all of this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The ultimate garden handbook

What you are looking for is, to my knowledge, not available. If it does, I'm sure you couldn't afford it. I suggest you google the topic your are looking for or google herb society. Another thought, there is a herb forum at this site.

o

They sell dictionaries and encyclopedias, why can't they sell affordable plant handbooks? It would just be so epic to buy a new foreign plant, and then pull out your giant trusty handbook to look up everything you need. The air of academic romanticism is definitely a bonus

o

I find alot of info like that in my FREE Johnny's Selected Seeds catalog. For some seeds it gives basic info: days to germination, sowing time, seeding method, light preferences, plant height, plant spacing, and hardiness zones. For others it give quite detailed cultural information. I especially like some that have seeds photos and charts showing germination success at various temps. I think most of the herbs have basic info and veggies have more details. You can request a free copy at Johnny's website. I save mine each year and pull it out every so often. Guess I really out to order from them a bit more often seeing how I use their catalog so much. Other catalogs have info, too...can't recall others I have that list lots of herbs, though.

The herb forum could probably recommend some good seed catalogs and books. Most of my books are older but several include much of what you want. I'm sure any whould have some gaps, but a local bookstore or library might have one that fills most of your wants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here