Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cstaas

Kids garden club

cstaas
20 years ago

I just started setting up a kid's garden club for the summer at my home. It will meet every other Saturday morning, and I've got LOTS of ideas for weekly projects as well as activities and "chores" to rotate. They will have their own space in the raised veggie garden too. Mostly this will be for ages 6 to 9-ish, in a small group.

What I'd love to hear is what your most successful gardening activities have been.. what did the kids REALLY get into?

Comments (12)

• moominmamma
    20 years ago

Hi there! I just discovered this forum. I normally hang out with the worm-fiends in vermicomposting. I'm afraid I don't have much experience to offer, but I'm in a similar position, and perhaps we can share resources and ideas we come up with. I'm planning to start a kids community garden club using some community garden space. Probably I won't start with the kids this summer... I'll just be laying the groundwork, so to speak. But I'm busily trying to plan ahead and collect ideas and resources.

Some ideas I've had, trying to create and robust program that will inspire kids through the winters as well and carry them from year to year ....

Carpentry: Construction of a toolshed, compost bin, worm bin, raised beds, trellises and fencing

Vermicomposting: creating and maintaining miniature ecosystems

Preserving: buildling a solar dryer, fall canning sessions

Community Service: donation of surplus harvest to the needy; harvesting, preserving and distributing surplus fruit from local trees, community beautification

Soil preparation: scientific study of soil components from a physical, chemical and biological standpoint; pH and other soil testing and adjustment

Adobe construction: building an adobe oven for baking bread and pizza

Wild harvest: identification, harvest and preparation of foods growing in the wild

Cultivation: Seed germination, weed identification, plant reproduction and propagation

Solar energy capture and storage: cold frames, heat sinks, creating microclimates, extending the growing season

Organic strategies: companion planting principles, beneficial insects, green manures

Food preparation and storage: safe food handling, culinary skills

Indoor cultivation: growing sprouts indoors as a winter project

Record-keeping: collecting data, journalling through photos and text, collating & analyzing data, newsletter publication

Sharon Lovejoy's books are a terrific inspiration to me for the actual growing end of things. I want to focus on fast-growing things that are fun to watch and fun to eat. I've used some of her ideas with my own kids over the years. We had a great sunflower house one year, as per her directions. My kids' favourite vegetables to grow are radishes, carrots, lettuce and snap peas. They like radishes for their early quick growth, carrots because of the mystery of their underground growth, revealed periodically through thinnings, lettuce because they love serving salads made from *their* greens, and snap peas because they love eating them fresh in the garden while working on other stuff.

I'm also very interested in the Junior Master Gardener program (link below), though I've yet to actually see their Teacher's Manual / curriculum.

Hope that helps!

Miranda

Here is a link that might be useful: Junior Master Gardeners

• Yellow22
    20 years ago

The web site really made me smile. I like your idea, it's at your home? That's a pretty good idea as when it's at a school there's never seems to be enough time, they are all wond up and hungry, and it takes too long to clean up at the end of projects, the gardens seem to get forgotten by the landscaping staff when they mow but I'm sure not always and everywhere. I would have a little tea party at the end of the season where they could make all the decorations for the table, mint tea, and little cakes with fruit. I alway had children over my house and they watched and asked questions but I never thought to pull it all together and make it a club. I always went out and taught jr. garden clubs and sometimes it felt I was dragging my children around with me. I guess they got tired of the same thing. I would find abother jr garden club and correspond with them via the internet. You could send pictures and the kids might make some friend outside of their club that will keep them really interested for years to come. Wishing you the best

• serenity_kate
    19 years ago

Cstass, I would love to exchange info about your youth program I am just starting one at my community garden and would be happy to email you my weekly plans and would like to see yours as well.

• edwinna
    19 years ago

Yellow22 has a great idea. Maybe you could find a children's gardening group in another country via the Internet.

They could tell each other about the various plants they are growing, the climate, soil, insects, share photos; etc. And, become friends at the same time.

:-)

edwinna

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Any update on the garden club? Also, I'd like info on the junior master gardeners...the link is no longer working. Thank you :)

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

A kids' garden club, what a neat idea. Any updates on what worked well and what did not...still looking for ideas myself.

I'd like to get more information on the junior master gardeners, but the link is no longer working. Does anyone have any info on this? Thank you.

• cedar_wa
    14 years ago

Try getting the 4-H curriculum for the Garden Project. I use it with kids from early kindergarden into highschool.
    There are really good explanations about things like photosynthesis, the difference between open pollinated, hybrid and genetically modified seeds that are easy to understand by anyone. There a many games and experiments.
    The curriculum goes into a three ring binder. Check with your local extension agent. I think that it is a national printing and not local. Purdue University pehaps put it out. I learn something new everytime I plan a new meeting.
    I found the Junior Master gardeners program too simplified for school-aged children who like gardening.
    I am just working with a new group of gardeners from 5th grade through high school who are very interested and have supportive families.
    I love the energy of kids much more than those people my age (66). I learn more from them than they get from me and nothing is impossible.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Thanks Cedar...that's a great idea!

Are you over by Seattle? I'm five miles from Idaho and in a much colder zone :)

• cedar_wa
    14 years ago

I am west of Seattle on the Olympic Peninsula. My daughter lives in Spokane and continues to carry on her gardening there. She grows some really good grapes,raspberries, strawberries and lots of other fruit in her little yard. I always bring her starts for her garden in early May.
    I looked up the curriculum that I use ( 4HCCS BU-7166 printed in 2004). I could not find it, but check out www.4hmall.org (go to curriculum and garden). A similar set of materials are available at a reasonable price. Most likely they just "new and improved" them.
    I have my 4-H club at an afterschool daycare and that works out very well because the children are there all summer to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Most of the kids come from families who are not financially able to get fresh, high quality, organic food. It is apparent that many of the kids feel that they are providing food for their families and work hard. We already have onions, peas, spinach, lettuce and broccoli growing. We have a worm bin that they feed garbage to once a week.
    If you are in Spokane county, they have a very active 4-H program and you could check out becoming a 4-H leader. I also have another group of older kids with their own home gardens that meets once a month. Becoming a 4-H leader is highly recommended and the county 4-H coordinator can explain why.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Cedar- Thanks for the info! What kind of grapes does your daughter grow? I've been thinking about getting some, but I'm not sure what will do well with our hot summers and cold winters. Concord is my favorite, but we're in southeast Spokane County (on the edge of the Palouse) and we have earlier frosts and a shorter growing season than Spokane. I don't know if they would ripen in time. I've heard of Valiant, but can't find anyone who grows them, to see if I can try a few before I order some. Too bad catalogs don't come with samples :)

• cedar_wa
    14 years ago

I have no idea what kind of grapes my daughter has - they came with the house. They grow up on to the porch on the west side of the house. One is blue and sweet, the other is yellow, larger and not so sweet. Both ripen in early September. I would try Concord just because it makes the best jelly and juice. In the daycare garden we have Glenora and Jovan. The Jovan is a smallish, sweet very productive grape and ripened before Glenora. Grapes are very easy to propagate. Find a good grape from a neighbor and stick some cuttings in a pot. It may not be too late to do it, but fall is better.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

I am thinking about trying Concord, even with our short season. I will also try a Valiant, which should do very well in our area. Hopefully, the Concord will ripen in time, but either way, I'll have some grapes :)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider
More Discussions