Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening with my preschooler

Posted by jodis231 usda 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 05 at 20:29

I will soon be gardening with my son for our first time ever! This is going to be a learning experience for the both of us. He is 4 years old and very smart. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciative to make this fun for both of us. Also I have a daughter that will be 1 this June.
Thank you
Jodi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening with my preschooler

My 6 year old homeschooler painted this picture of seeds to flower. He said it was a special flower that only took 3 days to grow!

I home school my 4 year old and 6 year old. They have been by me while I garden and I just let them do what they will and have fun, when they allow me, I try to sneak in as much about educating them in regards to what we are doing and why.

We like to find worms in the soil and the worms are our friends and they help us to make the plants strong and healthy!

o

Hi Lily,

I had a similiar expereince with my twin 7-year old girls last year. I went with a product called the garden pad (www.gardenpad.com), bought it from windowbox.com - cheaper than the other site. Anyway, it was pretty foolproof and the girls loved it so much I'm buying more this year.

Whatever you do will be fine, kids just enjoy being there with you - even if none of you know what's going on!!

Scott

o

Jodi- I have gardened with my son-who is 7 now since he was old enough to be outside in the dirt. The thing I found to be most important was to make sure it was fun for them.
Who cares if they put a plant in the wrong hole- you can always move it later when they are not looking. This has worked very well for me and now he is the one who asks me to go and work instead of me asking him.
Also try giving them a small area of their own out of the way where they can do what they want to make it their own "garden space"
Hope this helps you out

Jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here