Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A great way to get kids involved in the yard early!

Posted by Homersgarden 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 04 at 21:37

My son and I have spent a lot of time lately searching through my gardening catalogs looking for plants that we can dedicate to family members. He is a little over two so he doesn't quite understand, but he likes it when we cut out pictures and say, "This is Nana's flower". "This is Auntie LuLu's rose."

I am really looking for flowers that are actually named after family members and friens. It should be fun and I know my son will love to help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A great way to get kids involved in the yard early!

Even as a little girl, I liked Rose of Sharon, because Sharon was the name of my sister that passed away. My dad was Herbie, and my Mom was Juanita...doubt I'd find any flowers with THOSE names!!

o

Not true!!!

Narcissus Juanita:
http://ridgwaydb.mobot.org/kemperweb/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=U820

Hosta Herbie:
http://hostas.plantsdatabase.com/go/5155/

:)

Marie

o

How cool is that?? THANKS MARIE!!

o

Thanks, I love this idea. I need a Martha and a Jean for my parents. I'll try googling for it. First-time poster here, Gina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here