Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening ideas for a preschooler?

Posted by HeidiNoel 6 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 04 at 22:24

Hello,

I'm new to this web site -- it seems great!

My question: I have an eager-to-garden preschooler. I also have a small container/window box garden (flowers in window boxes, veggies from flats in containers) on my roof deck in our city condo.

I should add, I'm a beginning and not-too-confident gardener.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can involve my child in gardening? I'm not sure I want her to "help" me with the flowers as I'm a little uncertain myself.

But, I do want to encourage her interest.

Is it enough to have her "help" me plant the veggie flats? Should we start something together from seed?

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

-Heidi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening ideas for a preschooler?

• Posted by Trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 23, 04 at 12:29

You can start with sowing seeds of bush beans. They're large seeds...easy to sow, fast to germinate and make beans that your toddler can eat raw or cooked. Bush beans will do great in containers but they must be kept well watered...expect that on very sunny days you'll need to add up to a gallon of water for a container the size of a five gallon bucket.

o
Gardening ideas for a preschooler?

Thank you, Trudi.

That's a terrific idea!

Do I start the beans in small cups and then transfer them to a larger container? Or, just plant them in the container from the start?

How many beans would you suggest that my child plant in one container (say, a 5-gallon container)?

I love the planting / eating idea!

-Heidi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here