Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small space for strawberries - soil

Posted by hoopsterj (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 0:53

i have placed broken pieces of concrete on the lawn - 7" deep 66" long 36" wide ... little less than half cubic yards of planting mix needed. if i want to plant strawberries, what type of packaged soil would be good (planting mix w/ fertilizer)? What is the size of a normal bag? And while i've placed the pieces in the south part of the house, there are trees/shade in a suburb north of seattle will strawberry plants grow (any plants I put in will be "transplanted", or already started)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small space for strawberries - soil

I don't know what the conditions are like in your area, but in the Uk I used to plant my strawberrys in hangers, like other people do flowers, they when sort of trail, and look every pretty, and the sun on the house gave them much more warmth, I just used regular potting soil, advantages are more warmth and less insects and for some reason birds didin't see them! don't know why, disadvantage water, water, water, but I would make this seem! either by puting other plants in pot underneath to catch the excess, which fooled me to believe I was doing two jobs at once, ( a trick my Dad taught me because you really shouldn't use a hose and even fine sprays (or the ones that are drop, drop like rain) and a watering can at that hight forget it!, will take off to much soil,have one of those sprayers for week killer or fertiliser (A SPECIAL ONE which looks totally different from one you put your chemical if you use them, they have a handy long hose so saving your arms or lugging round a step ladder (that said I haven't looked for one in the US but I am assuming they are the same with a hand pump!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here