Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shugnshay

Okay, what are your kids growing?

shugnshay
16 years ago

We went to the feed n seed today, just for dog food, and brought home cherry tomato plants, lantanas, and seeds for beefsteak tomatoes, okra, foxglove, hollyhocks, asters, shasta daisies, larkspur, and purple cone flowers... oh, and I didn't forget the dog food! With five kids, each picking two items, it became eye-crossing confusion.

They're so excited to play in the dirt, and they simply must do it tomorrow. It's colder than usual, and the ground is saturated from heavy rains right now, so I think everything is going into pots and seed trays on our front porch, for the time being!

Next week, we're picking up a couple of mandarin trees and a fig tree, and God only knows what else they'll add to that list!

Comments (7)

• sam_mocotx
    16 years ago

DD is growing:

impatiens
    begonias
    geraniums
    calla lillies
    coral bells
    fuschia
    peace lilly
    bleeding heart
    four o'clocks
    turk's cap

Sam

• sahm2ae
    16 years ago

Wow, and I'm just impressed that my four year old daughter is keeping her fittonia happy! Well, she did just get a pumpkin kit and watermelon kit, and the seeds sprouted very quickly and the seedlings are getting quite large... I'd love to have watermelons all over our hill one day...mmm!

• moonsanity
    15 years ago

Geesh, sorry I started another thread on plans with the kids-- I completely missed this one.

We are in zone 5 and it's only 37 here today. We are getting ready to plant seeds indoors, but it will be awhile before we really get going on outside things. We had snow spitting yesterday. LOL

My one son is 14, and the only kid who likes tomatoes in the family. We have to grow cherry tomatoes every year. Anyone have a favorite?

My daughter is 8-- she loves all plants and herbs especially:)

• dirtdauberz5mo
    15 years ago

Taught my 15 year old daughter how to start the mantis tiller on Saturday, and she and her 12 year old brother had some fun digging up a new area at the end of last years' garden. Then they planted 10 hills of peanuts. If this works, movie time this winter we'll have peanuts as the main feature!

• sarabell
    15 years ago

My kids 'help out' a little bit in the vegetable garden, but they do want to do their own area this year, and they want sunflowers, balloon flowers, and a few random others. :) We won't be planting for a few more weeks here, b/c for their stuff, we will just start from seed outdoors. They're super-excited!

shugnshay- how old are your kids? Mine are 3 & 2, and I surely can't trust them with foxglove yet. :( I can't wait, though, b/c they're beautiful! Hope everyone's kids have a great time with this!

• normathenewbie
    15 years ago

wow, everyone is getting involved how wonderful. I have 3 children ages 5.7 and 8. this is our first year for gardening and we have started some of our veggie seeds already indoors. The kids have chosen to plant sweet baby watermelons, pumpkins and sunflowers. they will each be responsible for taking care of one of them and then helping with the bigger garden. They are loving getting their hands dirty and loved planting bulbs last fall and seeing them flower this spring. It is my intent that if they plant it they will be proud of what they have done and actually eat veggies. I'll keep my fingers crossed. lol
    Norma, Michael, Michaela and Miranda

• brookiejunk
    15 years ago

Last year my then 2 year old daughter planted in a medium pot. A sunflower, a corn stalk, petunia, and a marigold. I have no idea how it all survived but it did. It was so cute and she was so proud of it. But this year i fashioned together some bamboo in the shape of a tepee. I'm going to grow moonflowers all over it. So at night she can sit in her tepee with her sister and watch the flowers open up.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA