Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Children's Vegetable Garden

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 16:07

I have the little Peter Rabbit potager planned for the little ones (nieces, nephews and friends who visit) but I want to plan a larger vegetable garden for the older kids.

This would be for our use too, but so many of the kids who visit don't have gardens of their own (we live in the country) so I want to include things they can grow and take home.

My 10 year-old nephew is really interested and loves melons and pumpkins. We have an old metal gazebo top (about 2' tall and 7' across) that has the four curved sides coming from a central top piece. Well, it's always looked like a big spider to me, so we call it spidey. My nephew has decided to paint it black (it's a little rusty) and use it in his garden area, for growing gourds, cucumbers, mini-pumpkins, etc. on the "legs". He also wants to plant melons between each "leg" but due to lack of space, we'll probably grow bush type watermelons.

He also wants a bean teepee (made out of bamboo poles I have from last year) and maybe some flowers to attract bugs. I told him about companion planting and he's very interested. He's planning to put radishes and nasturtiums around his squash and maybe some tomatoes, basil and marigold together.

Although we have some ideas, I'd love to hear any other suggestions. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Childrens Vegetable Garden

I'm thinking of adding red raspberries to one side of the garden, on the outside of the fence. Boyne and Nova are supposed to be good...any recommendations?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here