Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

What do you think I should do?

gardengrl
22 years ago

I have a dilemma...after careful consideration, I've decided to pursue a masters degree in Horticulture Science. My eventual goal is to open up my own garden/nursery center in the midwest. I am currently in Florida and although it would probably cheaper and quicker for me to attend a university here in Florida, I don't think it is a good idea if I want to move to the midwest which has a whole different growing zone and plant selection, etc.

A friend of mine told me that it didn't matter if I went to a university here or somewhere else, that a horticulture degree is the same where ever you go. I disagree, as I tend to think that a university here in Florida would concentrate on the local horticulture more than what I would find out of state. I think that it would benefit me more to go to a college near where I plan to move to, since it would be better for me to have more hands on experience in that zone/plants etc. My friend says that I'm going to learn about all that stuff anywhere..

What do you think I should do? It would be cheaper and quicker for me to stay here, but then I'm afraid that I won't be well prepared for the experienced "old timer" gardeners if I later move up north.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions