Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found praying mantis egg sac

Posted by libbypittsburgh 5/6 Pittsburgh (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 16:38

Hi,

I've found several other praying mantis posts in this forum, and decided it would be a good place for my question:

I was cutting down my ornamental grasses today and found what I know is a praying mantis egg sac attached to a couple of grass stems. Having cut the grass, I was afraid the sac might blow away and get hurt, so I tucked in under some English ivy a few inches down in a place where no one will walk.

Is it safe there? I like having them in the garden and don't want to hurt the chances of having some hatch. By the way, when do they hatch, or is there a certain temperature range when they do?

Thank so much!
Libby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found praying mantis egg sac

Hi, Libby!
I was just passing through and noticed your post, thought I'd throw in my two cents! :o)

We have found several egg cases around here, and since I knew they would probably be mowed down, I've moved them. I sometimes will take the stick/stem it's attached to, and stick it in the ground somewhere else. I've also stuck them in with other plants in a container on my porch. I think yours will be fine. They hatch once the weather is warm, but I'm not sure of the temperature. We even had some hatch in the house this winter!!! (A praying mantis had been in the house last fall, she left an egg sac up inside the corner of a window. When the weather got cold, we turned on a heater near the window, and they hatched!)

Hoping you see lots of babies in your garden this year,
Angel

o
RE: found praying mantis egg sac

It is okay to re-position them anywhere. You should put them up off the ground, because ants like to eat the eggs. When I find them low down, I just put them in the crotches of trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here