Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duffy_gw

Funny things kids say

duffy
21 years ago

First, I was soldering copper for a trellis. So when I said I was going down to the basement, my 7-year old said, "Why? Are you going to do another joint?"

Next, I have a Sunday school class, she's in my class. We filled a clay saucer with potting mix and sprinkled grass seed on it. The grass sprouted, but it's not getting enough "sunlight" in the church, so I took the saucer home today, to put under my lights in the basement. Someone asked me what I'm doing with a saucer with SOMETHING growing in it, she answered, "Mom's going to grow some grass in the basement."

Yes, that's me, growing pot in the basement, and then "doing another joint". LOL

Comments (26)

• butterbeanbaby
    21 years ago

ROFLMBO at Duffy's critter!!!

My critter is convinced that we absolutely MUST plant her moon flowers when it is DARK outside... and she made sure everyone she ran into a the nursery center was aware of this fact. I happily go along with this stuff. If anyone sees a large pregnant woman in Missouri out on her deck in the middle of the night arm deep in potting soil and assisted by a four year old, that would be me.

Holly

• Amunhotep4th
    21 years ago

rotfl! yup, I'd beleive that. Well folks not just kids are kinda "nutty"! I have a patio garden and there is nothing to be said about me at 9 PM out on the patio with lights on doing a bit of gardening.

Beleive me-they WILL get over it! LOL

• kjh9835
    20 years ago

My kids have absoulutely insisted that I plant a "money tree" this year as we are always broke and I am always saying "money doesn't grow on trees!". They saw one at a nursery last year and I have never heard the end of it!

• rara_avis
    20 years ago

the summer my daughter was three she came running upstairs so excited to tell me
    "Mommy! the flowers *talk*!!!"
    I asked what they said...
    "they said they don't have a problem with anything"
    she ran back down and outdoors singing
    :)
    JulieM

• gardeningfan
    20 years ago

What precious answers. My son wanted me to plant Amaranthus for his garden because he wanted Spiderman flowers. He saw the package and immediately called them Spiderman flowers. Kids are so wonderful. My favorite though is when my daughter and I were driving home after picking up a pizza and as we walked out of the restaurant I noticed the moon. It was so big and full and beautiful. I pointed it out to her where she became so excited. About 10 minutes later we were pulling into our driveway when she excitedly said,"Look mom there's the moon, it followed us home, silly moon." Precious memories. Great post.

• butterflydiva
    20 years ago

which kind would that be that looks like spiderman flowers?
    i'd love to see those lol my kids love spiderman =)

• samanthaz
    20 years ago

Love this post - My 3 year old, Michael, got up early with hubby one morning to go fishing. When my husband started digging around the brugs and irises for worms, my son woke me up yelling "Daddy's got worms!! Daddy's got worms!!"

My other favorite was just this week when Michael led our dog Tank around to all the blooming irises, daffodils, pansies etc, and tells him to smell the flowers. When Tank complies, Mikey grabs his face and yells "Isn't that heb-en-ly!!!"

Still makes me laugh!
    Samanthaz

• burtonius
    20 years ago

My son tells my husband, "Daddy? I want a haircut just like yours. Do you shave your forehead?"

• Yellow22
    20 years ago

I was working on a project with a few from each grade after their school lunch. Both beds by the front door where to be the same and one child from the group on the other side said like it was a race, we're finished and our hands are clean. We'll our side took a little longer because we were adding fertilizer and I said at first, We'll, because I'm a big kid, ours will grow stronger and bloom better, then I thought I should teach them to be good sports. I said, The hand that's dirty from honest labor is fit to shake with any neighbor, Go over their and hand their hands.....

• clutterbugs
    20 years ago

ohhh you guys,now i got all teary...my grandcritter Elli helped nanna deadhead flowers for the 1st time yesterday,she`s 12 1/2 mos. old and love`s to smell the flowers ~mouth wide open,inhale real big then say ahhhh...~ she`s a mess,well yesterday she was watching me pull off the dead heads and next thing i know she is pulling off 2 fresh flowers for every dead one i pull...and with everyone she sticks it in my face and says `dis?,`dis? (this)...lol...so i had to let her,it was afterall her flower bed i did for her the day before she was born last april and replanted with annuals again this spring,she helped pick the flowers,mostly yellow and purple,she even has a `lil metal butterfly that i wrote `ellibugs garden 2003`on,she has a turtle and a frog in her garden and also a stars `n stripe`s pinwheel to show her support of our troops.i look forward to many happy years learning to garden with her...

• rara_avis
    20 years ago

yesterday i was standing in the yard, cleaning the outside glass of the stormdoor and the smell of a neighbors hard-boiled eggs wafted into the house...daughter(5y) said giggling "It stinks like onomatopoeia in here!"

• emilyanddavid
    20 years ago

I just LOVE it when my 3 year old says her favorite flowers are "Daisies, tulips , and 'Dappodils". (Daffodils) Sigh...growing up too fast for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rara_avis
    20 years ago

:)

in the most know-it-all voice a five year old can muster:

"hey! you know what?! Aleene's dad can dig to China. Yeah and he did. Aleene told me so."

• Doris_J
    20 years ago

My three year old daughter is obsessed with butterflies. For the last 6 months, every item of clothing she wears MUST have a butterfly on it. We've been talking all winter/spring long about the butterflies, and when they'll come to our garden. She saw her first one today in the garden. She said, "Look, Mom, there's a butterfly! Hey, butterfly, yoo hoo, I'm over here!" as she waved frantically!

• sanda
    20 years ago

When my daughter Amanda was 3, I was trying to put her down for a nap, and she was claiming she wasn't tired. I told her, "I saw you yawning" and she said, "I wasn't yawning! I was just stretching ou my mouth!!!" LOL

Another time, when she was 4, I was talking to her about what she wants to do when she grows up, goes to college, etc...does she want to be a doctor, an architect like daddy, a teacher...she just looked at me and said, "Mommy, I want to be a Nutcracker!" I guess she really liked the ballet we saw about a month ago...:-)))

Sanda

• saralouise
    20 years ago

lol kids are so great. i have a 4 year old little girl. i decided it would be great for us to start a flower garden this year. as im sweating in the hot sun to plant our flowers shes in the shade informing how bored she is and cant we just stop and order a pizza. lol at the time i was so frustrated now i crack up everytime i think of pizza.

• fishymamas
    20 years ago

my 3 year old loves to pick the flowers in our patch and tuck them into my hair, this facination started when he saw a pic of me in hawaii with a ginger blossom in my hair (I have long sufer-hippie hair)...

he told Daddy I grow flowers in my EARS!

• farmsteward
    20 years ago

We were having dinner in a local restaurant. The waitress was a sweet older lady who was doting on my children and telling me how cute they were. When she returned with a picture of her cute and slightly pudgy granddaughter, I shared the picture with my son. I said to him, "Look at those cute pigtails she has". My son replied, "Yes, she does look like a pig!" I almost crawled under the table.

• Dylemma
    20 years ago

Saturday mornings when we're rushing to get to soccer games, my preschooler says "Mommy, don't forget to put on my shin gardens." (shin guards). All that time in the garden with me has really paid off!

• littledesertrodent
    20 years ago

I don't have kids yet, but these posts definetely make me laugh and look forward to the days when I will. LOL. I can't wait to share my joy of gardening with my own rugrat.

• madmom
    20 years ago

My favorite was when my then 5 year old son came in while I was changing his new sister. He took one look started crying and said "Mommy her peepee fell off. We have to take her to the hospital so they can put a new one on" I laughed so hard I cried then had to tell him the difference between the sexes.

• FlowerFairie
    19 years ago

I have a 3 yr old fairy, and she loves to garden with me. A couple of days ago we had been out at Lowe's and purchased a variety of plants for our garden. When we got home and started working, my daughter would ask what the names of the flowers and plants were, and I informed her like a good teacher. When my husband came home from work, she told him, "Daddy, we planted daisies, and petunias, and bugnoses (begonias) today!" My husband asked her if they were big bugnoses, and she replied, "Yes, they are big bugnoses, like yours!" We could not stop laughing!!

• tyretosmom
    19 years ago

my three year old son came over and asks for the flashlight. I told him where it was and he came back with it and told me he was going out snailhunting. LOL

• val1
    19 years ago

Last year when my daughter was three years old, she went along the flower bed carefully opening and looking in each tulip blossom. When I asked her what she was doing, she replied "I'm looking for Thumbelina". It was so cute! Needless to say, I planted more tulips last fall.

• redinstead
    19 years ago

For many years I tried to get Morning Glories to grow up a trellis that my husband put around our LP tank- never did have any luck with them so when my 4 year old (at the time) asked to help plant flowers I gave him a bunch of morning glory seeds to have for the garden- we had morning glories everywhere that year- When I asked him what he did to make them grow he says "nothing- i just stuck 'em in the dirt and left them alone". Now he plants morning glories in that bed every year and has named it his TURTLE GARDEN- he collects turtle figures all the time and even has our friends and family looking for new ones for him- his Granny got him 2 new ones for christmas this past year and he loved it. He is 7 now with over 50 turtles and still planting his "mornin glornies" as he calls them and I hope he keeps this up for many more years.

• garden_knome
    19 years ago

My 6 year old daughter was in the garden the other evening with her daddy when she looked up and said"look Daddy somebody already turned the moon on!"

Last august when our last son was born my 8 yr old son was laying on our bed with the baby in his arms and he said "Mommy I can't wait to hear his little voice" with tears in his eyes. Months later when the 8yr old was trying to watch T.V. with his ittle brother playing beside him blabing " DA DA DA DA" he looked at me and said " Mommy make him be quite!" So much for wanting to hear his little voice.lol