Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magret_gw

Ideas for Signage for Jr. MG Garden

Magret
22 years ago

Hi to everyone, this is my first post here. I am a Master Gardener for our county. One of our biggest projects every year is a garden for children located in a low-income housing facility. For the past few years the garden hasn't attracted many children. My theory is that it is because the Master Gardeners go in around mid-May, put in the plants and seeds and for the rest of the year the kids just sort of watch it grow. There isn't any real involvement for the children. Also, the area is very drab and there isn't much visual interest.

So, this years I am the Chair of the project. We are starting in mid-April with a party revolving around setting a up a sweet pea trellis with each child's name assigned to one sweet pea vine. This way they can observe their vine during the week and record its progress in the books I plan to provide. That same day we are going to assemble a scarecrow family and place them in the garden.

I am looking for ideas regarding signage. I would like to have signs marking pathways and signs marking plots for children and plots for senior (this complex contains a senior housing area.)

Any ideas for graphics on the signs? I want some very cute stuff and bright colors. Unfortunately, I'm not very creative in this area.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Magret

Comments (4)

• oldmom
    22 years ago

How about using pieces of woods, painted to look like seed packets for signs? Or cutouts of veggies? Include kids painting their name on each of the sign. Hope this helps a little.

This site isn't too busy compared to other forums, is it?

• bronmermom
    22 years ago

Do you have access to a laminator? If the kids did signs with their names and artwork you could laminate them and hang them on the trellises--only the hot type of laminator would work.

For the paths, etc. you could do some nice signs on the computer and laminate them also. Almost any poster making program e.g. Print Master, would have some lovely gardening and nature graphics, plus wonderful fonts. Word processing programs also have some graphics and fonts.

The kids could also cut pictures out of plants and flowers to paste in their notebooks--maybe some ideas for the next year's project. I remember getting great enjoyment from looking at seed catalogs as a child even if most of it was more or less a pipe dream.

If you do use a laminator and computer graphics, make sure to use the best ink cartridge for your printer. Save your work as I am not sure how the signs will hold up to sunlight. They may have to be replaced the following year.

One other thing-- the signs could be stapled to wooden stakes or holes punched in them to hang up.

You might want to involve everyone with gathering things for the scarecrow family. We have a scarecrow contest every year at our county fair for the 4-H clubs with some very interesting result. One of your lovely elderly ladies may have the perfect hat! Will your family have grandparents, too? I have even seen some wonderful people made from flowerpots.

Advertise on the community bulletin boards and have pizza at your first gathering. Pizza really pulls the kids in.

It sounds like a wonderful project and I wish I was there to help! I would even consider helping with your signs, if you wish. I would not be surprised if there are some talented computer graphics people in your senior and low income housing--check around/advertise.

Have fun!

• SandiD
    22 years ago

I think both the kids & the seniors living nearby would LOVE to help create the signs. This may also be a terrific way to introduce them. Chances are you have some experienced gardeners in the senior living area. Wish I could be there to help too!

Sandi

• jeanneg99
    21 years ago

If you are actually working with the children, you can let them create their own plant signs as an art project by using Sculpey or Fimo clay. This clay can be molded like reglar clay but it is hardened in a home oven. What we do is we make signs using the clay, then have the children paint them (any acrylic paints are fine - and they're washable) and then we glue them to paint stirrers donated by the local hardware store. The signs are durable, but to make them extra durable, you can spray them with clear gloss acrylics. The clay costs about $1.49 per package around here and if rolled thinly, each package makes 4-6 signs. The clay is nontoxic but I would not use it with real tiny kids - school age kids enjoy this project the most. The kids have a blast making their signs, you can review plant names and information with them as they're making the signs, and it rolls art and horticulture into one lesson. Good luck!

Sponsored
More Discussions