Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annikasmommykate

Starting a garden w.my three year old daughter

annikasmommykate
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm starting a garden w.my three year old. I am going to do the whole, lay down newspaper, build a raised bed, fill it with soil thing (I know there's some controversy about whether or not it's the best way to do things. I don't want to get into that...I had back surgery last year, so there will be no double digging for this mama)

I am planning on having her start some sunflowers, zinnia, cosmos and alyssum. I am stumped for fast growing annuals that would be good for the middle of her bed though. Does anyone have any ideas? I guess she could grow some bush beans in there, but she doesn't like them, so IDK if I should bother. I know kids are more likely to eat something if they grow it, but we grew them last year and she wouldn't touch them so :shrug: Maybe now that she's a little older she might try them, but I digress...

So to make that long story (or question) short...Does anyone have any easy, fast growing, mid-bed annuals?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (7)

• ajourni
    12 years ago

How about sugar snap peas? My kids devour them before I can get them in the house. And the flowers are sort of pretty.

• annikasmommykate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sadly she doesn't like those either. She's kind of a picky Mickey...But she loves, I mean *LOVES* flowers. I guess it doesn't really matter if she'll want to eat them or not. She'll have plenty of fun harvesting them. When we grew them last year, she loved to pick them, but she would nibble on it and spit it out...

• magz88
    11 years ago

Nasturtiums are an edible flower that are easy to grow.

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

I did a fairy garden w/my three year old. And outdoor doll play area--what could be better? It's 2'x6' deep, and she LOVES watering it.

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

Pumpkins are always thirsty and they don't need to enjoy the taste in order to use them. Also, pumpkins are good for the impatient toddler as you can see the new growth every day. Cantaloupe and watermelon also come to mind. Cherry tomatoes are fun because they can eat them right off the vine and there are new ripe ones every day.

• CelPhelNM
    11 years ago

My daughter won't eat the tomatoes, but she loves to walk around with her little "garden basket" and pick the red ones! Now that we finally figured out how to keep the birds out, she like "hunting" for the little ripe strawberries, too!
    For flowers--We have been putting in moss rose and it's taking off like crazy! I was just trying for a little color on a bald spot in our yard, but they are spreading and have beautiful flowers!
    My garden was crazy this year--my first one, and I didn't really expect anything to do well, so I didn't spend much time planning...
    Next year I'm going to do a lot more planning--which includes asking my girl what SHE wants to plant out there!

• jersgirl828
    10 years ago

My little girl wants corn cause her and daddy can eat it together. Its what she can plant special "just for me and daaddy" :-) . And okra because grandma loves them. Their "just for grandma". Both plants are tall enough for flowers to grow under and around the stalks of them. Then when we pick them she feels proud that she grew them just for daddy or grandma. And of course we always plant enough till momma has to eat the extra just so it doesn't go bad. Walmart sells both fairly cheap as 6-packs so she can be sure to learn to transplant as well as plant seeds for flowers. My girl likes marigolds and daisys and petunias. Good luck!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions