Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trees, spiles, buckets-yum!

Posted by oldmom z3WI (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 02 at 23:21

What am I referring to? Maple sugaring, of course. If you live in an area where you do this, try & get your child to see it. Springtime for me in Northern Wisconsin is seeing my next-door neighbor's buckets hanging on the sugar maples. Though I don't had a "sugarbush", we've taken our daughter to one. I'm also involved in putting together an exhibit for our local Children's Museum called, "The Story of Maple Sugar Making". This is going to contrast the old and the new ways of maple sugaring---Ojibwe style. (A collaborative effort between 2 museums, 2 cities & 2 cultures).
If you live near sugar maples, in Fall, do you recall that the leaves have the sweet fragrance of maple sugar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trees, spiles, buckets-yum!

Oh wow that really jogged a childhood memory for me. I grew up in northern Minnesota (Chippewa Nt'l Forest) and remember sneaking in tastes of and passing around little sandwich bags of maple sugar in class. Nothing sweeter. I haven't had it since I was kid. Of course, kids probably pass around different things in sandwich bags now.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here