Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mimosa pudica or venus fly trap seeds

Posted by Eileen 7 sw NJ (the7bs@earthlink.net) on
Sat, Apr 19, 03 at 0:37

does anyone have any of these for a homeschooling project for my 11 yr old twin girls. they are unusual & unique plants to study. my children will think they are having fun but actually they will be learning. hoping to turn them into GW traders !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mimosa pudica or venus fly trap seeds

I would be interested in Venus Fly Trap seeds myself. I have a 7 yr old son who looks for these everywhere we go. If anyone knows where to get them he would be so excited!

o

You might try on the Carnivorous Plant Forum under "Exchanges". FYI - it takes a few years for seeds of VFT's to develop into into a plant the size that kids will appreciate. For about the first year, the traps are only around or less than 1/8th of an inch!

I would suggest starting with mature plants. One thing you CAN do is take leaf cuttings. For those interested in these plants, I would suggest getting from the library a copy of the book, The Savage Garden, by Peter D' Amato. It's excellent & is considered the bible of Carnivorous plants.

I have some VFT's & Sundews for trade. Please email me off this list.

Also, for anyone in the New England area, check out the New England Carnivorous Plant Society, www.NECPS.org. We have monthly meetings and it's a great way to pick up plants through trade, demonstrations, and silent auction!!!!(from people who grow them right! - not those half dead things you see at local stores.)

Bill

o

For mimosa pudica seeds, you can try Thompson&Morgan

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/2554/1

Oli

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here