Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edwinna_gw

Our school won a gardening grant!

edwinna
20 years ago

Hi!

I'm a lurker who is just bursting to share this great news with someone.

Last year our school started a garden on a shoestring budget and donations from the community. The town has a population of 3000 and it's extremely economically challenged, yet the folks around here go out of their way to support the students. They're just awesome!

Anyways, a few months ago the school applied for a grant and today we found out that we've been awarded $1000 for our garden. We're so excited. A $1000 may not seem like much, but it'll buy lots of seeds, plants, ferilizer, etc.

The students loved working in the garden last year and our cafeteria used all of the produce for school lunches. We had tomatoes, squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, potatoes, cucumbers and fresh herbs...all organic too!

wooohooo! Can't wait to see how huge and productive the garden is this year thanks to this unexpected funding.

:-)

edwinna (who is beside herself with joy)

Comments (16)

• moominmamma
    20 years ago

Wow, you sound so excited, and rightfully so! I'm beginning to investigate grants available for a similar project. Our town has a population of 600 and a catchment area around it comprising another 600-800. I'm trying to start a gardening club for kids. My kids don't go to school (we homeschool) so some of the funding that's available for school projects isn't applicable to us. I'm looking to create a community-based project that would integrate kids and seniors. We need about $3000 in startup money, especially because of the need for fencing (we have a major deer and bear problem in our region). It's great to hear that foundations are willing to fund endeavours like this. Enjoy the windfall!

Miranda

• WendysCritters
    20 years ago

Congratulations.... I'm very happy for you!

• edwinna
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks...we're very excited about expanding the garden.

Miranda, I hope you are able to find the funds you need. We started out last year by doing a bake sale and asking the local businesses for donations. We made $189 on the bake sale and the merchants came through with donations of everything from soil, fertilizer and compost (broken bags they wouldn't be able to sell) to seeds and fence posts.

It's kind of intimidating to go out in the community to ask for donations but it's amazing how many people want to help once asked. The kids were involved with this too.

Also...very important but often overlooked. Every business that donated material received a thank you letter from the children thanking them for the specific donation and explaining how it would be used in the garden. I think most businesses get hit up for a lot of donations from different groups and it's nice for them to know it's appreciated.

Good luck to you with your project!

edwinna

• DurtyKneez
    19 years ago

Edwinna - How exciting. We will expect follow-up reports from you!

• edwinna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You got it, DurtyKneez (love that name btw)!

Yesterday we received two packages from the grant people. One of them had a complete drip irrigation system in it and the other contained a bunch of packets of flower and vegetable seeds. Also included was an entire curriculum for the teacher to use while teaching the students to garden. Had all kinds of neat stuff and ideas for projects and nutrition information, recipes for the produce, etc. So exciting...we didn't know we were going to get goodies!

And, we used $200 of the $1000 grant last week to purchase some really great soil amendments (got a good discount and the delivery fee was waived), a really nice outdoor table and chairs set for $79 and took the students to the local nursery so each could pick a garden plant of their choice to nurture in the school garden.

Also, the local equipment rental place donated the use of a rototiller.

Oh yea...life is good! The kids are loving it too.

edwinna

• DurtyKneez
    19 years ago

Ooohhweee - that $1000 grant is actually worth more than $1000!! What an excellent (and unusual) grant that also provides curriculum and some start-up materials. I am soooo happy for you. Sounds like a super community - no doubt they will enjoy watching this unfold. I guess you know - when the school year ends, we will be waiting for the word that your local (maybe even regional) newspaper is doing a feature on this!! :-) Our children and our earth - our most precious resources.

• edwinna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here's the latest update...this project is taking on a life of it's own!

We've received donations of cement and fence posts, two 50 foot rolls of fencing wire and a metal gate. Total retail value is approximately $300.00. A local contractor has donated his labor and that of his crew to install the garden fence.

Also, there was a small feature in the local paper about the garden.

Woohoo!

edwinna

• theroselvr
    19 years ago

I think what your doing is great. I'm currently involved in my daughters garden club on a parent level. I'm including a link below to some pics of their garden. There is a talented teacher there that painted the sign & garden bench.

We have about 6 teachers involved in the garden club. Last year parents donated plants, I also donated a wheel barrow. This year the school had a pizza sale to raise money for tools, mulch, etc. I was at one meeting where most of the kids couldn't work due to not enough tools, so I went to Walmart & picked up some shovels & trowels (got a great buy on them). One teacher also picked up more wheel barrows, so the kids can now work.

The garden has a "sun" in one corner complete with rays. She has black eyed Susan for the sun & various annuals forming the rays. The kids last year made stepping stones with shells & rocks with their names on them.

Last summer we had a garden lunch there which was really nice. The kids got to see their garden in full bloom. My daughter will not be in this school next year, I will miss garden club.

Here is a link that might be useful: Denbo Garden

• moominmamma
    19 years ago

Roselvr, thanks for posting, and thanks for the photo link. Great pictures. Very inspiring.

Miranda

• theroselvr
    19 years ago

Miranda, I don't doubt that you can get lots of donations for your project. I'd hang signs at the grocery store, library, township building. Then there is always word of mouth. You may also try an adult community center. There are older people there that may have gardening equipement that they aren't using any more, or they have gardens they can't take care of. One lady that donated to my daughter's school was older and had gardens that needed dividing. Most will allow you to come in and divide for them since they can't do it any more.

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

where was the grant from? State gov't? County? Federal? How did you find out where to apply. thanks

• susieluv2grow
    19 years ago

Miranda, Dont overlook churches. I started a plant sale "Camp for Kids". The money went to send kids to camp who couldent afford to go. The first day we made $1000.00 in one day. The second day we made 500.00. We would have made more but I ran out of plants. I was digging up Shasta daisies all mid morning for day 2. I always have pots and dirt on my back porch to support the cause. Call on your locals and plan a community meeting to see if there is an interest. Church orginizations give out comunity grants all the time.Good luck to you!

• edwinna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

gottagarden,

The grant was from the Western Growers Association. We found out that they were offering grants from the county gardening extension and one of the county employees helped us with the application. I imagine you have similar organizations on the east coast. Hope that will be helpful information for you; it's so wonderful to get help starting a project like this.

School starts here on August 30 and the garden is producing tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, squash, eggplant and green beans like mad! We're looking forward to serving all that fresh produce in the school lunches.

We also have tons of pumpkins and the kids carved their names and the name of the school in them while the pumpkins were still small. So, come October they'll be fun decorations for the classrooms.

This has been a great project for everyone.

edwinna

• moominmamma
    19 years ago

I appreciate all your suggestions for donor sources. Some of them may prove fruitful, but I should reiterate just how tiny and rural our community is. Yes, we have a tiny grocery store (what most in bigger towns would view as a 'largish convenience store') and two small part-time churches (congregations number about 30 adults, no resident pastor). They're not exactly giving out money all the time, to say the least! We have no library, no township office, no industry except a handful of guys who log or prospect, no community centre, etc.. And we're over an hour from the sorts of towns who do have this sort of resource base, and they're unlikely to want to support something that far from their own community. Word of mouth donations of materials and government / philanthropic foundation / national corporation grants are probably our likeliest sources of donations.

Still waiting for the rubber stamp on our use of a great site. At least my own garden is proving productive and fun for my kids.

Miranda

• edwinna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Miranda,

I understand what you're saying about a small community. But, you might be surprised how much people want to help if asked. You may not receive a lot of cash donations, but donations of labor and materials often mean more than money.

Often in small communities like your's the social life is limited; so perhaps organizing a fund raising event such as a spaghetti feed, pie auction, cake walk, bake sale or something along those lines might surprise you with the results. A chance for the community to get together, have a fun evening and help out.

Also, raffles are great. The prize doesn't have to be fancy. A cord of firewood, a quilt or a Thanksgiving basket can raise an amazing amount of money through sales of $1.00 tickets. Check your local and state laws before holding a raffle; in some states it's considered gambling.

A nearby town with a population of less than 100 people donated time, labor and material to install a soccer field/track for their small school in one weekend. Some donated equipment and grass seed, some provided labor and some provided food and drinks or whatever they could. It was a great weekend and the folks are still proud of that beautiful soccer field/track. The kids also realize how much went into providing them with a place to play.

ok...I see that I'm starting to ramble.

It can be done...it just takes time, effort and commitment.

Whether it is a garden, soccer field or something else to benefit children, good luck to any and everyone trying to get a project like this off the ground.

edwinna

• carky
    19 years ago

In case this thread is still active, I'm interested in the curriculum you received. Next week I will begin teaching 7th graders the basics. We're beginning with a contest. 5-member teams will receive the same supplies and must decide their goal and how to achieve it. We'll have awards for the biggest carrot, the most carrots, most flavorful radish, etc. We're concentrating on carrots, radishes and turnips in this particular project. If you can point me to on-line teaching aids and material I'd be a very happy recipient.