Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctgreenthumb

memorial garden

CTgreenthumb
21 years ago

I hope you experts can help me! I have been asked to design a memorial garden for two school mates of my daughter's- ages 7 and 9- who died in a fire Dec. 27. I would like it to provide healing and hope, and to be active and playful- as the children were. The garden will be maintained by the younger child's 2nd grade class until they graduate from 8th. The school year is longer than most- mid Aug through last day of June- and there is activity in the summer.

It is in a full sun spot in Connecticut- zone 5/6. We are in a near drought and may have some water restrictions coming this summer. We want the garden to be permanent- mostly perennials, I guess, but what else? What would you suggest?

Comments (8)

• john_at_smc
    21 years ago

i am the gardner at a small college and have done memorial gardens for students who have died-i would be glad to give you some help--a few things come to mind--how big of an area are you talking about? how much do you want to spend on plant material?

• MEMA_WI
    21 years ago

Maybe find out what the children's favorite colors were and plant flowers in those colors especially as well as others.

giving the space some permanent structures such as arbors, a trellis, a birdbath, or bench would be inviting for children(and adults) to spend time there.

• karenforroses
    21 years ago

Find plants that bear the same names as the children. 'Sweet Annie', etc. There are many plants, and thousands of cultavars that have boy or girl names, and it always personalizes a garden so. In my mother's garden I grow the roses Helen Naud and Helena Rensaisance because her name was Helen. I've underplanted them with Serbian Bellflowers because that was her heritage.

• babzclare
    21 years ago

Maybe include some plants that the children can touch in order to interact with the garden...lambs ears comes to mind,artemisia,wooly thyme-all drought tolerant, lavender for something scented...sedums are also requiring less water... what about some spring bulbed flowers...and an area that includes a place to sit and view the garden. If there were a mature tree around with a swing that would draw children there- or a sandplay area? Just a little brainstorming. Good luck.

• megsateennow
    19 years ago

I planted a memorial garden in my daughter's memory this year. She was killed in a car accident on July 8, less than a month after she graduated from high school. I will post some pictures soon, but I focused on mostly planting things in her favorite colors, pink and baby blue. I also found some beautiful personalized things for her garden. We had her cremated and her ashes are in a permanent urn which is a sundial on a pedastal. That is what gave us the idea for the garden. We have them in raised beds and the planks surrounding them are stained with a semi-transparent stain. We have encouraged her friends to write notes and draw pictures on them when the pink tulips are up in the spring. I will get the pictures posted soon.

Cindy

• megsateennow
    19 years ago

Here are the pics of my daughter's memorial gardens. They came out beautifully and I will post more pics in the spring and summer when my tulips and summer flowers blossom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Memorial Garden Pics on Webshots

• anitamo
    19 years ago

What a wonderful gift to her memory. My heart goes out to you, and I am sure you find much comfort when you visit Meg's garden.

• aqw8326
    18 years ago

My friend works for a mortgage company who recently aquired the house across the street from her. The gentleman who lived there died in 03. His relatives came in took what they wanted and abandoned it. Her boss told her that she can take what ever she wanted out of the hose, as they were just going to trash it. She called me to do a walk-thru with her.
    During our adventure I discovered an Urn. There was no identifying tags, or names on it, but I knew it contained cremains. We also knew that the former homeowner was buried in the VA cemetery.
    I also found a 3' Laughing Buddha. I took both of them home, and in the corner of my garden, created a Zen garden, with playground sand, I placed both the Buddha and the Urn there. I just couldn't leave her ( I feel it is a 'her') there to be trashed!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm