Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Gardening with a baby?

bernergrrl
16 years ago

Hi--I use the GW forums a lot, mostly Attracting Butterflies, but DH and I have a new daughter (adopted 10 month old), and I am an avid gardener. Right now, I'd be outside making new beds or spreading stuff, etc.

My question is: what can I do to keep her safe and near me but still be able to garden?

I was thinking of having her in her sling for some of the time, which she would love. She loves observing the world and my activities from the sling.

I was thinking about putting down a sheet and letting her hang out on that with some toys; she's not crawling yet, but is working on developing the strength.

When she is crawling, we are going to buy one of those little playpens (not the accordian kind).

Any other ideas?

One other thing I can't believe I'm worrying about is germs! Is that a concern?

Oh, and should it be a certain temperature outside? It's going to be in the 50's this week, and I'll bundle her up. All kinds of new mommy worries!

Thank you for any advice and suggestions!

Comments (7)

• kuriooo
    16 years ago

Hi,

I have the same challenge, but now my son is 14 months and likes to "help."

How about an ergo? I had a hard time putting Joah in the sling on my front and side and doing lots of bending, but I think an Ergo would be easier or any kind of back tie.

Also, we've traveled throughout central america and Joah has eaten some really nasty stuff, so don't worry about germs too much. Personally I think chemicals and toxins do more harm than natural stuff, which helps develop our immune systems.

As far as temperature, just bundle her up really well, and keep checking to see if she is getting cold (hands warm? Feet seem warm? Does she have a hat, etc?) I try to stick to warmer days outdoors and also use sunscreen.

Have fun!

• sarabell
    16 years ago

Congratulations on your new daughter!

I used to bring an exersaucer outside with us, and position an umbrella over it for a little extra sun protection. The sheet idea is a great one, too. That worked well for us too. Babies tend to love being outside so much, that I bet she'll love it!

I wasn't a big germ worrier, but kids WILL stick anything in their mouths, and there's little worse than looking at your precious baby with a bug halfway eaten, hanging out of her mouth. lol Trust me. So I would go with the sheet, Pack-n-Play, or saucer if possible.

• bernergrrl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions! I didn't even think about the exersaucer! I have an Ergo and a Babyhawk, and I've been getting used to putting her on my back and now feel like I can do that outside.
    Thank you too for helping to reduce my anxieties about "germs"!

• homersgarden
    16 years ago

They joys of gardening with a little one. Don't worry about germs...dirt, grass all of that stuff will go into the mouth and both of my kids survived. Funny how I don't worry about germs and I have two very healthy kids. Relax and let it happen. It is my feeling that if they learn that you aren't going to freak they will be more apt to love the outdoors. If you get all tense then it becomes tense for them and alas you may transmit this. All your ideas sound great. What about one of those Exersaucers (spelling). Not too hard to drag it outside and my daughter would sit in it for awhile.
    My only other piece of advice is do not put them in an umbrella stroller on an incline. I did this and my son went rolling down the hill into the rose bush. No injuries, but I sure felt like a bad mom that day!

• brookiejunk
    15 years ago

My daughter also loved sitting in the saucer thingy. But my one piece of advice is put them in clothes you don't care about and schedule time for a bath. That she can dig and roll around all she wants. Both of my kids Almost 3 and now 14 months have been ouside with me from as soon as the weather permits. They crawl through and taste dirt all the time. I figure that after a few taste they will realize it is no good. Just make sure you don't fertilize the grass. Don't want any fertilizer going in. Also take rocks out of her hands if she could choke on them. But a blanket for now sounds good if she can't crawl around.Even if she can she may enjoy crawling back onto the soft blanket. Also take a treat out there for her to enjoy. like some cheerios and something to drink. My kids love snacking outside. Beware when she gets older she is going to love helping mommy deadhead the flowers. I've found over thirty marigold heads at one time deheaded thanks to my precious little girls. LOL, but it is worth it since you get to teach them so much about the outdoors and nature.

• girlndocs
    15 years ago

You mentioned a sling, you may want to check out MamaToto. It's a resource for using a long piece of cloth as a wrap sling and has great instructions for several back carries. I used to garden while my daughter napped, tied to my back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wear Your Baby

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

My son loves his swing. I used to push him till he got going then do a little gardening, run back and get him swinging again etc. I also bought him some kids tools to play with while I work with mine. I still don't garden out front unless I'm carrying him or have my husband to help though. OH I just remembered I used to use his battery powered swing outside too. Also you will need to watch the sunscreen. I have some little swimmers stuff that my ped. recommended.