Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenga_gw

Suggestions for PreK

karenga
22 years ago

My daughters Pre K class is starting a potting soil table, where they are gonna be planting seeds and repotting plants. I sent in some bean seeds cause I know they are easy, and some marigold flats(I have no seeds, cant believe that one) What else will grow in a classroom setting? The parents have to donate the stuff and I don't want to waste my money on stuff that will not grow and dissapoint some aspiring gardeners. I do have some Birdhouse gourd a generous trader sent me more then I can use. Do you think that would grow well? I bet they would get a kick out of that if they can take it home and grow it in their yard. Thanks for any tips.

Comments (9)

• Arkansasgardenboy
    22 years ago

Just about all kinds of vegetables like peas, beans, squash, corn, etc. would work fine. You may want to include some flowers like sunflowers.

• nora_in_vancouver
    22 years ago

My 4 year old brought home a sunflower seed planted in a baby food jar with potting soil. It had sprouted by the time it came home to me. I nursed that thing on the windowsill over the sink and it actually bloomed! There was no way to get it out of the jar, and watering was tricky because it had no drainage. It was about 4 inches tall.

Just the same, sunflowers get very leggy in poor light. If the plants go home quickly, it would be good, because they don't like being transplanted.

If you have any sprouting potatoes or onions at home, those are good fun too. Nasturtiums have nice big seeds so are easy to plant, and they grow quickly and reliably. Calendula are easy too, but the seeds are hard for small hands. Sweet peas are another good flower choice.

• oldmom
    22 years ago

Beans, peas, beets, radishes, sunflowers, zinnias. You could try the old favorite: "bean in a baggie with wet paper towel" - so they can see the germination process.

• karenga
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Well the teacher said they already had plenty of seeds????? Guess she is making this a small project. I am a bit disappointed cause I wanted to see the kids plant. Thanks for all your suggestions, I will try to remember them next year.

• StephB
    22 years ago

I know I'm late on this thread but someone gave my son some sunflower seeds last year and they grew wonderfully. He was so thrilled he choose a package of sunflower seeds this year to plant and wants to plant them all in the yard .... LOL!!

He came home from preschool today excited because they planted a "surprise" -- we'll see what it is!!

• karenga
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Steph, you have given me a great idea. I have been making a memorial garden for my Mamo, trying to plant all sorts of Daisy looking flowers in it. My daughter seemed very interested in it. I think I will make her, her own special place next to mine. To plant different things. Sunflowers for sure, my Mamo loved them!! Maybe some Cosmos, and Zinnias? What other flowers do you all think would be good?

Also Steph, please let me know what the surprise is when you figure it out. That is too cute!!

• Arkansasgardenboy
    22 years ago

Bulbs--tulips, irises, joniquils, dahlias, lilies, and gladiolas. Wouldn't some of these work?

• Jules101
    22 years ago

Nasturiums are great for kids - they grow quickly and the seeds are large so little hands can get a good grip on them. The flowers are edible and can be put in salads (Although you MUST STRESS not to eat any plant without checking with a grown up first!!). Happy Gardening. Jules

• dougt
    22 years ago

I remember doing this when I was little. One year we did corn, the next was a bean. Each child brough home a small milk carton from school. Cut the top off. Put some dirt in it from the yard. Brought it back to school. Pushed a seed into the soil, covered it up, added water. Then we put the whole thing into a clear plastic bag and sealed it. The bag stuck up about 8" to 10" higher than the container. We didnt have to water it anymore because the sealed bag allowed condensation to occur. We just put them by with window. Then when the plant started to grow and actually hit the top of the bag, we took the bag off. Worked great.