Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my experience w/ 1st graders

Posted by bluetruck99 z8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 05 at 20:38

having worked with every first grader in putnam county tennessee this week at the "Ag in the Classroom" teaching them the joys of horticulture i can tell you 2 things i discovered:
when asked what flowers they like to plant in the yard at least one in 10 will tell you dandilion! (i explained that we dont plant these but they are a fun plant)
also kids freak out about watermellon! we showed them some diferent fruits and vegetables and they like carrots and green beans, but watermellon was by far the best!
we also got some cute answers to our questions-
"Why do we plant trees in our yard?" "because we'd all be smokers if we didnt!"
overall it was fun but i dont think i'll be changing my college major from hort to education anytime soon. thanks for reading my post ~Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my experience w/ 1st graders

Ryan -
C'mon - admit it - you had as much fun as the kids!!
Yep - first grade is a magic time. You will never know what a difference you might have made for one of those children - a door opened, a possibility 'planted'. . .
"Ag in the Classroom" sounds like a great program. Is it part of a specific college course you are taking?
Thanks for sharing with us.

o
RE: my experience w/ 1st graders

Every year, the first graders at my local elementary school walk over to my house (one class at a time) to see my trees. Before they come over, the teacher shares my Web site with the class so the children can see what the trees looked like when they were young. By far, the biggest "hit" is the pictures that seem to show my house getting smaller as the trees get bigger! They also seem to be fascinated by pictures of the same tree in different seasons. Well, so am I.

We are all educators in one way or another. Thanks, Ryan, for being so generous with your time and talent!
--Joolz

Here is a link that might be useful: A Tree Grower's Diary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here