Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
young kids dont eat healthy? get a pet rabbit.

Posted by jersgirl828 nc (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 0:05

This is the best advice I have ever gotten on my toddlers eating habits.
We got "long ears", my toddler named it, for $10 at a livestock auction.
If my daughter doesn't want to eat a raw carrot, lettuce, tomato, celery, etc. I say "we can't feed long ears someting you won't eat and it needs to eat it to grow big and strong". My daughter says "long ears won't eat it" or "really will long ears eat it?". I feed one to the rabbit and my daughter eats it without a fuss. Best $10 I have spent yet towards my daughters health. And she has got hours of enjoyment out of the rabbit and they are low maintenence animals. They can be litter box trained (like a cat only easier and pine shaving not kitty litter), or put in a large tote, or even an outdoor cage in the dry under the carport or in the shed, I have a friend who put hers in the chicken pen with no isuues. Loving it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: young kids dont eat healthy? get a pet rabbit.

I've been lurking here for quite a while and had to finally start an account to reply to this. Just wanted to say that your daughter isn't the only one who thought of the very creative name "long ears" for her rabbit. That was my rabbit's name growing up too! I thought I was the only one ;-)

We do something similar to you with our chickens and our 2 year old. "The chickens think lettuce is delicious. Want to give it a try?" Since he's obsessed with the chickens, this is working for now but we might have to get a rabbit down the line too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here