Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana_ma

music and their effect on plants

Diana - MA
24 years ago

I am doing at Science project for school. My topic is, Does music really help plants to grow faster? I am unable to find any backround information to help me with my research. Can anyone help me?

Comments (43)

• Jay - sunset 2±1
    24 years ago

First learn to use "search the forums" here on gardenweb. There are at least 7 posts and 90 followups.

Then there is a claim at www.av1611.org/neutral.html that rock music can kill plants. And http://youth.net/nsrc/ejournals/ejournal.005.html reports that rock music stunts the growth of plants. While www.earthportals.com/Earthportals/Portal_Market/healing.html says that Bach is benificial to plants. All of these may have come from some research reported at funtrivia.com/Entertainment/Music.html.

• Gale Biloski - 3
    24 years ago

Can't say that's true in my case. My plants & I listen to rock and heavy metal music on a daily basis And we're all happy and healthy.Indoor plants. perennials, annuals, pond plants & fish, vegetables, trees, anything I have growing enjoy the music.

• Jay - sunset 2±1
    24 years ago

On one of the infotainement (edutainement) channels there is the landslide investigator who puts a paddle wheel in barrel of sand and attaches a weight via a pulley and the contraption just sits there. Then he turns on the sound and the sand starts to vibrate, the wheel turns and the weight moves. Perhaps music moves particles in the soil and some plants love it and some hate it depending upon their root hairs.

• Henrietta - 7
    24 years ago

About 20 years ago, in a physics class, I did a controlled study (I used genetically identical african violets in identically controlled environments). One set received classical music, another on rock music, and a third nothing. I found no effect. (It was fun though).

• Rhonda Kochmer - Phila., PA
    24 years ago

My daughter is also doing a science project on music and their effect on plants. Did you find the research you needed? Do you have any ideas for my daughter. She is by the way in 3rd grade.

• Shelley
    24 years ago

I am doing a science project and I really need some information on music and their effects on plants. Can you give me some book titles or websites or something that can help me?

• Lauren
    24 years ago

PLease I['m desperate send me info on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because I am doing a science project on this topic and I need some inf o fast. Thanks guys!!

• Anthony Uno - 11
    24 years ago

I read in a Sam Choy cookbook of a man on the big island of Hawaii who grows vegetables organically for the hotels there. It mentioned that he was using sound vibrations to open up the plant cells so that they can utilize nutrients more quickly. The man claimed that the vegetables grew more quickly and were more disease resistant.
    I read also about a study in Japan on the effect of music on halibut. There were two aquariums with juvenile halibut, and one received classical music, and the other received rock music. The study concluded that the fish that got the rock ate more, were more active, and grew more quickly. Music apparently does something to living things.

• Charlotte
    24 years ago

Hi,
    I'm a 7th grader and also doing a project like this one( music and plants) in my case, the tester ( one with music) grew faster and bloomed quicker than the control.(no music)

• Hamish Lancaster
    24 years ago

I am currently doing a sciece project on the effects of music on plants, and I would really appreciate it if anyone with web addresses, infomation , or anything at all that could help me, could e-mail me with some info. Thanx alot

• Susanne Crummenauer - Germany
    24 years ago

There is a message on the "Growing from Seed" Forum about an actual investigation carried through by the University of Sussex / UK. It also has a link for further information.
    Regards, Susanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Germination with Rock 'n Roll Music

• Brandon Larmand
    24 years ago

HI I am a 7th grader doing a project on does music effect
    plants growth and any imformation pertaining to this topic
    you can email me
    Thank You Brandon Larmand

• zara
    23 years ago

i just did an experiment on the effects of music on plants email me if you want my results

• Judy
    23 years ago

I am in 8th grade, and am doing a project on plants and music. It would be great if someone would e-mail me with there results.

• jane - Sunset2±1
    23 years ago

For a GardenWeb summation of opinions click here: GardenWeb search on music. Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask in GardenWeb format.

• poinciana
    23 years ago

Grrr. . . DonÂt kids do their own research anymore? Moreover, why canÂt they spell or use proper grammar?

What are they (not) teaching you in school these days kids?

You can e-mail me and tell me.

• rebekka - 8
    23 years ago

I didn't bother to read this thread, so please email me and tell me what it said. Thanx!

• chris
    23 years ago

I am also doing a music/plant expirement. I am in 8th grade. I am trying to see what kind of music makes plants grow faster, rock,rap,country,classical, or pop. E-mail me if you have any ideas or can provide help PLEEEEEZ

• Addison Canevaro
    23 years ago

I am doing a science project on the effects of music on plants, and I've gotten conflicting opinions on the workability of this project. please give me some advice.

• Courtney
    23 years ago

I'm doing a science fair project on this subject and I need some resources. If you have any, please e-mail me. Thanks,
    Courtney

• Benjin
    23 years ago

Nothing on music and their effect on plants has been scientifically researched and published in a science journal that is well known. What I have heard about this subject is that classic music is good for a plant because it has a certain rythem that is soothing about it. I know more about the music and the affect it has on human minds and a test that was done on mice trying to get through a maze while classical music was playing. While the classical music was playing the mice were able to get through the maze faster. When Rock music or any music that has a steady beat, was played the mice got lost in the maze and it took them longer to get through it time after time. In humans it was proved that listening to classical music can improve a persons ability to learn and apply what they learned. Those people who listen to Heavy metal, or any other music that has a steady beat, lose what they have learned and have a hard time remembering things. It is about like the effects tobacco has on a person. Also music has been proven to help people with physical ailments. To learn more about music and the effects it has the human mind search the internet by typing "music in the mind". (Make sure you type the parenthesis with the words when searching)

• Katrina Lucas
    23 years ago

I am doing a science fair project, my question is how does music effect the growth of plants? If you can help me please e-mail me thanks alot
    ~TRINA LUCAS~

• Shannon Castle and Julie
    23 years ago

This is to the lady who is complaining about kids and their "Proper grammar"
    Kids can't do their own research papers if they don't get research....duh!
    And as a matter of fact, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we couldn't care less about our grammar or spelling! This isn't english lit. is it?!

oh yeah, does anyone have any research about our project?
    we can't find anything in our whole town!
    Thanx, Julie and Shannon

• Zada Brown
    23 years ago

I'm also doing a science fair project on this, but I have tons of information! Here's a search results page with tons of links...I found it very useful.
    The actual topic of plant growth and music is very controversial. It has been said that there is no way that plants can actually "hear" the music, and only the vibrations coming from the speakers. Isn't it true that classical music has less vibrations than rock music? This is a very interesting topic, which is why I've started it.
    To anyone who is doing this, remember that the environment of the however number of plants must be the same. For example, each group of plants should have the same amount of light, water, etc. Glad to help! By the way, I'm in seventh grade...^__^;;

• katie
    23 years ago

Hi! I am in 7th grade ang i am doing a science project. I am wondering if u could give me some sites that would be great. Thanks Bye

• *Minerva*Moon*
    23 years ago

First, I would like to say to that person complaining about not doing your own research, that it is REQUIRED (and I repeat) REQUIRED to list at least 3 sources in the bibliography for a science project if you want to enter it in the fair. So, in answer to your question, yes, I have sources. I am doing that same project right now. . . . Check these out:

(1) http://mgonline.com/impatien.html
    (2) http://www.mgonline.com/growbestimps.html
    (3) http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/music.html
    (4) http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may97/859418182.Bt.r.html
    (5) http://www.texnews.com/1998/local/sci1111.html
    (6) http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~erin/holcombeanna/plants.html
    (7) http://www.miniscience.com/projects/plantmusic/index.html
    (8) http://www.ga.k12.pa.us/Academics/MS/8th/scifair/scfair99/stwk99/srowe/icons/srowe.htm

That should help . . . and I would also like to add that you will not find a single spelling/grammar mistake in my review, and I did not force it either. Check out my website if nobody believes me . . . I find it mandatory to use proper grammar in all of my work. (I am sorry that it isn't relevant, so ignore the thing that says, "Here is a link that might be useful.")

Here is a link that might be useful: Hogwarts Online Interactive Castle, School for Witchcraft and Wizardry *Based on the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling*

• Amy
    23 years ago

hi...my name is amy and i'm doing a science project on "does music effect plant growth?" I am also having difficulty finding information on this topic. If anyone has any information please email me back. thanks a bunch.

• amanda g
    23 years ago

Could you please e-mail some information of plants and music, I am doing a science project and need some info or some web sites I can go to.

• Chelsea
    23 years ago

I'm in 7th grade and i am doing a science fair prodject on music in plant growth. I really need info on it ASAP. I also need sites to go to get info. So if you have any information please write me. Thanx!!!!!

• Martine
    23 years ago

Hi
    I am a girl who lives in The Netherland, Europe. I am in 6th grade. My science fair project is also on music and how it effects the plants growth. I have to write a at least 3page report on the backround information on anything that has to do with my project. I have still not found a single piece of writting to help me. PLEASE I BEG YOU PLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASE
    HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

• ss
    23 years ago

why do kids come here and all post in someone elses post asking another question and they all put the same question in the same forum so obviously they will not get answered because noone cares

• charles - 6a conn usa
    23 years ago

music has no effect on plants
    deciding which type of white American music most influences plants is insanity.
    You must control for all the variables and not assume that since one plant blossomed first it prefers Billy Rae Cyrus over Dwight Oakum is absolute nonsense. There are other variables which you are not acounting for and your sample is way too small or too few to draw any valid conclusions.

Music has no influence on plants unless it holds the farmer in the field
    the best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

• Amber
    23 years ago

E-mail me please!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sarina
    23 years ago

Hey!
    I'm in grade 7 and I need help! My project is due in a few weeks and I don't have any information! I can't find anything! If you have found anything at all on the effect of music on plants e-mail me! Please!

• Lauren
    22 years ago

I am also doing a science fair project on music and the effect that it has on plants. I would really appreciate it if you could give me any information on web sites and books relating to this topic. I have very little information on this topic and it is beginning to turn into the science fair project from hell! If anyone can send me any information at all it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

• SimonYT
    22 years ago

The reason no one can find any information about this topic is that music has no effect on plants. The fact that high school students are still trying this 20 years after we tried it in my high school just shows that no one ever learns anything unless they make the same mistake themselves.

The best way to write up this topic is to say "I was unable to find any valid scientific evidence that music affects plants. Here are the places I looked to find evidence (provide list)." Hand that in. It's research, and it's good science to report that you can't find a correlation. (Look up correlation for extra points.)

Why not spend your research hours looking up a more interesting topic?

Here is a link that might be useful: Science projects with plants

• silverjay125
    22 years ago

hello charles and company,
    If you would like info on the effect of music on plants go to http://www.dovesong.com/positive_music/plant_experiments.asp

Granted plants don't have brains or ears to listen to music, they do however have a central nevous system that can pick up on the vibrations given out by the music. If the music is "positive" (no distorted vibrations) the plants will flurish. If the music is "negative" (distorted vibrations) the plants leaf cells will trigger them to "wrinkle up" disabling them to effectively produce food via photosynthesis. Thanks for your time and don't ever say there isn't information. Regardless if it's true or not, there is an answer out there....

Here is a link that might be useful: here is the link...PS...charles, i am going to slay you.

• sugee
    21 years ago

I personally feel there is nothing wrong with giving a child the foundation they need to be sucessful in whatever their goals maybe.

Many subjects that are given for research, have usually been discussed in their classes. Their teachers provide the ground to build the foundation and we as parents,etc. can and should provide and/or guide them in drawing a blueprint for a strong knowledge based foundation to help them be succeed in completeing their tasks.

E-Mail.....sugee@attbi.com

• Obsessed1018
    21 years ago

Hey...can you please send meeh an email on how music really affects plants...I really need it...Please try and send it before dis month ends...Thanxs alot...I really appreciate it..

• wackywondergirl
    19 years ago

I am a 8th grade student and I am doing a science fair project on the topic: Does music have an effect on plants? And I would like to ask all of you for my project because I am taking a survey. If there is enough I need about 100 people to reply. Thank you for all that is listening (reading)! Thanks for your time.

• wackywondergirl
    19 years ago

This does not have to be all about plant growth I really wanna make some friends in here but I really could use the info for this topic! If you wanna talk I will be on........

• magot
    18 years ago

ANYONE GOT RESOURCE SITES THEY CAN SHARE????????? ='

• lizinnh
    17 years ago

Have taken research courses in college and I have to wonder, is it the plants that love the music or is it a double blind study in that the pests do not like the music. If the pests are deterred, one might get a healthier plant. Just a theory. Liz

Sponsored
More Discussions