Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fun Rainy Day Recycling Projects for Kids

Posted by annikasmommykate 5 NH (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 12:06

I was going through my seed/plant catalogs today, trying to figure out which ones to keep, when my daughter asked me if she could do a project. I was thinking about what new materials I could give her, when I looked down at my "recycle" pile of catalogs and had an idea. I cut out the pictures for her and gave them to her with a glue stick and some paper. She is having a grand old time!

What a great way to get rid of old catalogs.

Anyone have any other fun recycling project ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fun Rainy Day Recycling Projects for Kids

Well, here are a few others I've done with my kids.

- Make little plant greenhouses out of empty plastic soda bottles. Cut the top off of the soda bottle, fill the bottom with soil, add seeds and water, then fit the bottle top back on. The kids don't have to be as consistent about keeping the seeds watered, as the environment stays moist, so it is a low-frustration way for them to start seeds.

- Make a bird feeder. This is a great project for empty plastic jars. You can turn a plastic peanut butter jar and a larger plastic jar lid into a bird feeder. Basically, the peanut butter jar is the hopper, and you bold the larger lid on the bottom of it as the seed tray that the birds eat from. cut a few holes in the bottom of the jar, so the seeds can spill out onto the tray. Add an I-hook to the top of the lid so you can hang it.

- Make a butterfly feeder. If you have a largish plastic dish that is no longer used, you can turn it into a butterfly feeder. We used an old garden pot saucer that I no longer needed. The children painted the outside of the saucer with a non-toxic bright paint. We poked holes in the rim and strung it with garden twine, so we could hang it. Then we made butterfly nectar and added mushy fruit and a brightly-colored plastic sponge for the butterflies to land on. You can hang it out when the rain stops.

- Bird nesting material box. Use an old suet holder. Fill it with short lengths of leftover yarn (6 inches or shorter, so the baby birds don't get tangled). Hang it outside for birds to grab for their nests. (Obviously, this one is for early spring.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here