Return to the Gardens and Education Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dianthus blooms have died, plants still healthy

Posted by
Vicki - MO
(vmerktt@aol.com) on
Tue, May 18, 99 at 12:52

Hi, I bought some beautiful, bi-color dianthus and planted in my garden, about a week ago. The blooms have died off, but the plants themselves still look healthy and sturdy. What should I do? I thought perhaps cutting back the tops might trigger regrowth of flowers, but I've not worked with this plant before.

Thanks, for any help or insight you can provide.

Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dianthus blooms have died, plants still healthy

Vicki,

Chill out... have a beer... they will start blooming again soon (if not already).

IronBelly

o

Just take your scissors, pruners, and cut back one third of the plant. It will bloom again. And, have a beer!!! I prefer Pina Coladas.

o

Well, I have been deadheading, & deadheading, & deadheading, go figure. Mine are going to seed so I thought if I wanted another bloom I should deadhead. Am I wrong? Think I'll have a beer.

o

I am in the same boat! My dianthus were so pretty, and then suddenly all the blooms died, and I am wondering WHEN will they bloom again!?! I deadheaded a good bit, but still no noticeable results! I think I'll have a beer too! LOL. Any encouragement would be welcome.

o

Last year, I tried dianthus for the first time. They were so gorgeous all summer - they never stopped blooming. So, this year, I replaced the snapdragons I normally use for my "low annual hedge" with dianthus. I have a long row of it, about 20'. I sheared mine about 2 weeks ago when the blooming stopped (took about 2" off). Still waiting (with a beer in my hand) for signs of a rebloom; I'm thinking its back to snaps next year.

o

I have several different varieties of dianthus...my perennial ones put on quite a show early this spring, then kinda went blah when temps in the 90's rolled around. I cut them back all the way to the foliage in mid-June and now they are reblooming.
As far as my annual varieties, I just deadhead continuously and they finally let me know when they've had enough...that's when I leave enough of the dead flowers on it to collect seed for later.

...but I'll pass on the beer! :-)

Good Luck!
Amber

o

I planted 60 perennial dianthus correctly in the sun and they were are bloomig. The blooms have stopped. What do I do to get them started blooming again. What do I do to make them blooms again the plant is heathly. thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardens and Education Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here