Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

Kids Art In the Garden...

homersgarden
19 years ago

I was recently painting a long sign that read, "The Earth Laughes In Flowers" at the kitchen table. My son was busy painting in his Nemo book with water colors. He began to get fussy and wanted to paint on mommy's sign. I took my paint and painted a black line at the end of the sign (a lot of extra room and I was going to cut the end off) and told him he could paint with his water colors on one side of the line (he is 2 1/2). He began to paint with his paint and I finished my sign.

I was so happy to get something done and thought that I would simply cut off his paint scribbles and then hang my sign up. As it turned out I decided to keep his painting on my sign. It is a great little "modern" water color.

Now our sign is hanging from the fence and everytime we go outside he says, "Mommy see my sign!" A few years from now it will be a great reminder of a fun age!

I thought that now I might have him paint on some boards that we could give to grandparents as gifts for their yards.

Comments (8)

• janetgia
    19 years ago

What a sweet story - I'm so glad you kept the artwork! My daughter, now 10, found a sickly baby bird about three years ago that had been booted from the nest. She basically kept watch over him until he died, at which point we buried him in a flower bed. She painted a marker for him on a wooden picket, using acrylic paint I think... and it's still there and still readable. Now she laments about the poor "penmanship" she had at the time, but I consider that little marker to be a keepsake.

• DurtyKneez
    19 years ago

How sweet. Yes - definitely have him paint those signs for grandparents - they will be treasures. Consider outlining & decorating his hand for part of his 'artist's signature'.

• tdogmom
    19 years ago

I teach Kindergarten and I have had some parents who have actually matted and framed some of their children's artwork! You would be surprised at how nice it looks when you take some of that collage/Jackson Pollack-looking art a 4- or 5-year old makes and mat and frame it. :) It can look quite astonishingly beautiful! :) I also teach the children to "sign" their work in the corner. We utilize different art mediums so the children are familiar with watercolor, oil pastels, water color crayons, markers, acrylics, tempera paints, and more, as I think it helps to expand their artistry. :)

• Pandamama02
    19 years ago

My kids have painted rocks and old bricks to decorate the garden.... they can use the bricks for markers too....
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: lady bug rocks

• damrn01
    19 years ago

hi- My oldest one is heading to college(boo-hoo) I have a brick he painted in 1st grade. MY 11 y/o painted me a brick of the American flag. Hold on to those memories they grow fast. Those lady bugs are adorable.
    debbie

• jac3crafty
    19 years ago

My now 10 year old painted me a birdhouse to put in my yard from one of those child craft kits. He put the house together painted it and then we stuck it outside in one of our trees to enjoy. He was actually 6 at the time.
    My next plan is to make stepping stones with there names, handprints, ages and so on to put in my backyard.

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

I want to do this with my kids tomarrow!:) thanks for the ideas!

• cajungardener
    19 years ago

I have two framed pictures my boys, now ages 19 and 15 did when they were in kindergarten. They are both done with watercolors, one was using a straw to blow the paint around on the paper and the other was done using a q-tip. Both of these pictures hang in my breakfast area where I enjoy them every day...

Cajun

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions