Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Future landscape designer/junker?

Posted by janetgia 5a IA (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 03 at 13:45

My 9-year-old daughter was looking for something to do in the garden this weekend, and I told her: "I have a project for you. I have five old wooden sticks that used to be broom handles, and I'd love to find a use for them in the garden. Why don't you design something for me using some of those sticks?"

She thought this was a great idea - she laid out all the old handles on the patio and got out a little notebook, and within minutes had sketched a very simple and rustic-looking unit that can be used as a trellis, plant hanger, or bird feeder rack. She even noted that the sticks should be nailed together for strength, but we could tie rope around the joints "for display." I literally smacked my forehead when I saw her design - it is so simple, and I of course NEVER thought of it - and told her what a neat idea it was, and she said, "This is so cool, I can DESIGN stuff!" We will be building her design sometime this week I hope, with me as her "assistant."

Now if only I can get her to learn how to build water features!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Future landscape designer/junker?

Smart kid!

If you are serious about wanting to get her to build water features, I say go for it. It doesn't have to be perfect. Buy her a small pump and ask her to design a little pond. I guarantee a 9 year old can dig out a hole a foot deep and four feet in diameter over several days if they know they get to fill it with water and maybe even get to splash in it the first week or so. Then set the pump up in it and she will be so proud of "my pond." Later, you can tell her about pond plants, waterfalls, rock edges, maybe even fish. Or who, knows, if she's seen a couple of garden "water features before, she may think of those things from the beginning.

--advice from a mom who several years ago was asking on the Landscape Design forum for advice about working a mud pit, yes a mud pit, into her small garden.

o

What a cute story, Janetgia. It would be great to have a pint-sized landscape designer around the house.

I just have a cat and her designs only go as far as digging holes in my raised beds. This is not helpful.

Any chance of pics when you two have completed the design?

Cher

o

Sounds like she should be checking the Garden Junk forum for more garden art ideas of useful junk.Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here