Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ANTS!!!!! Sandbox ploblems

Posted by tkchill02 z6 WV (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 03 at 14:06

My stepfather has made a very nice sandbox for my 16 mth old son. Its only about two weeks old,with new sand. I can't keep the spiders,bugs and mostly ANTS out of it. He made a cover for the top for when it rains but they still get in it. I'm afraid to let my son use it.Can ANYONE help me with this problem.PLEASE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ANTS!!!!! Sandbox ploblems

I seem to recall from somewhere that ants are repelled by mint. Try powdering dried mint and spread it in the sand.

Good luck

Ethan

o

I've used plain old soap and water in a spray bottle and sprayed the perimeter of my sandbox when I saw that they were around (I was more concerned with the "Pincher" bugs).
I only had to use it a few times and it seemed to work!!!
Hope this helps.

o

Cedarcide makes a bug repelant for pet beds that is basically cedar shavings. I have used it to keep fire ants out of my herb garden. It should be safe for the baby, even if he eats it (but I would check the label.) The shavings are soft, so no splinters.

o

Try corn meal around the sandbox. This remedy has been passed down in my family for years. I use it in my house and yard. What happens is that the ant brings it back to the colony eats it, drinks water, and then dies because the water swells the cornmeal in their stomachs. Sound bad but it really works!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here