Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Play surface?

Posted by Tracywag Z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 05 at 15:10

What do you use for play surfaces? We are looking into resodding our little back lawn, this is the perfect chance to put a shock-absorbant surface under our wooden playset. But what? Our back yard is only ~800ft, a good ~200ft of which is patio, veg garden and surounding edge gardens. What would not make the yard look very very small? The border garden has barck mulch. I' looking for ideas and photos.

Thanks!

Tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Play surface?

We have kid-safe cedar chips -- and the "raised bed" containing them looks like the raised veggie bed we have. Not beautiful, but functional!

o

Our school playground across the street has plain old wood chips and they work great. They eventually break down which is good for when your kids outgrow it. Cheap and easy and surprisingly soft.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

We used redwood chips in a 16' x 24' perimeter of 4x4s (bolted together - 10' high) installed by the Playset Place in Lubbock, Texas.

The material and depth met the recommendations of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Here is a link that might be useful: Playset Place

o

We too used wood chips- triple shredded so they are soft and not splintery. I found a place that sold it (they called it playground fiber) in bulk. They delivered 10 yds to my house and that covered a 500 sq ft play area 6 inches deep.
I think they look good and smell great!
Here's a photo. This is the side of our house- an area we now call "the playground".

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here