Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunflower houses

Posted by kek19 5b-Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 16:28

Hi, I'm doing a sunflower house for my kids. I did a search on here and found some old posts about what people would do differently. Right now mines, 11.5' x11.5' I have Mammoth sunflowers planted every foot, and about 4-6" in front, between the mammoth, I have shorter sunflowers planted.

like this:
M-----M-----M
---S-----S---

My question is, in some of the what would I do differently, people said they'd do 2 layers for the walls. Would what I'm doing work well? Or should I plant more between?

Also, I'm doing the morning glories w/ them. But I'm not sure where to plant the moring glories. In front of the mammoths? Oh, and I ws'd both the sunflowers and the morning glories. Right now the sunflowers are oh about 4-6" tall, and my morning glories are 2-5" tall, should I wait until the sunflowers are tall before I plant out the morning glories? Or will it work out, the growing time, if I plant the MG out now w/ the sunflowers already planted?

Any tips or suggestions from anyone who's done this before would be great!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunflower houses

I will also be making the house. I can't answer your questions I haven't grown one yet. I found other people using moonflowers too. On a tee pee pole they made forts with morning glories, small gourds, scarlet runner beans and purple hyacinth beans of wich are very pretty. I found this in the what do you grow for fun forum (oklahoma gardening forum) More advice was there on the sunflower house too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here