Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katybird_pa

good flowers for picking

katybird_PA
20 years ago

My four year old loves to pick flowers. He especially loved the dandelion problem we had this spring. The weed and feed however is working great which is good for the lawn, but not so good for Zach. I am looking for flowers that are easy to pick (as in the stem gives easily and he won't be pulling up the whole plant) and will bloom more as they are picked. His favorite flower to pick after dandelions were the daffodils. Any suggestions.

Comments (8)

• Rgpaolo
    20 years ago

I run a school garden program where the first rule is that kids get to pick the flowers. We work with 1,500 pre school to fourth graders and the first thing they learn about gardening is how to cut a flower so it will encourage new growth. Kid's safety scissors work just fine for most plants.

Roberta

• Cshcrosby
    20 years ago

Zinnias are good plants for that. Although you have to cut them. :) the more you cut the more flowers you get

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Snow-in-summer would be wonderful. You may also want to check out Johnny jump up, an annual that reliably comes back year after year.

Supannee
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• nora_in_vancouver
    20 years ago

Bleeding hearts are always a favorite with kids.

• joannd_CNY
    20 years ago

I have the same situation! My 4-yr-old daughter loves to pick the flowers, but we've lost a few plants this way. I made a garden just for her, and am trying to put in plants for picking. After dandelions, she loves picking flowers off my geranium plant. This has been the best so far. It's one of the perennial kinds, covered in bright reddish-violet flowers. Easy to pick (no long stems and doesn't last in a vase but that's not the point!). And it blooms more the more she picks. Also, try these:

- coral bells (heuchera). You actually get a bit of stem with these, too.
    - daylily (reblooming kind, i.e., 'Happy Returns) - a little harder to pick, but then again, she just pops the flower off, doesn't take the stem.
    - dianthus has been nice although sometimes a little root comes out
    - sedum, such as 'Autumn Joy' (blooms in fall, no rebloom, but if you have enough plants it doesn't matter).
    - anemone sylvestris (although it doesn't rebloom)
    - daffodils
    - forget-me-nots (reseeding annual, kind of a weed which of course makes it perfect for picking!)

I'm sure there are loads out there. I've been looking for a while. I also planted her some pyrethrum, which only blooms in the spring. I think she did OK with that, anyway none of the roots came up and she loved the colors.

Great thread!
    Joann

• katybird_PA
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Joann,
    Had to laugh at the daylilies. I had forgotten how much he enjoyed them last year. He liked the fat yellow daylily buds and would pick all the "bananas" he could find.
    He's been picking the johnny jump ups and the dianthus, but always gets some root. I tried to teach him to deadhead, but he doesn't like to pick the "dirty" flowers.

• chrismd
    20 years ago

Plain oxeye daisy, the wild one you see in the fields, is good for picking. If you collect and scatter seed in your garden, you'll have them next year. Under cultivated conditions, the plants quite big and throw hundreds of flowers.

• denisew
    20 years ago

I grow yellow cosmos and these would be fun for children to pick. They have thin stems and might need some children's scissors, but grow so prolifically and reseed so easily, it wouldn't matter if he pulled a plant or two.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions