Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samhain10

sunflower house #2 - 2014

samhain10 - 5a
9 years ago

Well, I'm back with the Second Edition of the Sunflower House. I built it in the same location, using the framework from before, but with the added benefit of some of last year's stalks to strengthen the structure.

I also moved the doorway around to face south, since my observation was that the sunflower faces pretty much didn't turn much further than this during the day. Certainly they never made it all the way around to the west side allowing me to get a truly decent pic of the entry.

Last week I was a little worried because everything I planted had sprouted - except the sunflowers! So I planted some more. And watered like crazy since we've been having non-stop sun and 80+ degree days. Yesterday and today I see all the little sunflower seeds coming up. Whew! The other things planted are some blue flax, poppies, calendula, catchfly, scarlet runner beans, morning glories and some tithonia (Mexican sunflower, by it's common name). I'll have to thin some things out to make sure the sunflowers have the space they need, but this year I should have a full lower planting, to complement the tall stuff.

Oh, I should have added that the bigger plants you see in the pic are things which seeded themselves there: St. John's wort and wild black-eyed Susan - I thought they'd be a lovely addition, so I left them!

This post was edited by samhain10 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 23:16

Comments (14)

• natebear zone 10B
    9 years ago

Cool idea! I can't wait to see how this turns out.

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Natebear - I made one last year that is posted under "Sunflower House" in this forum. Lots of pics since I documented it from start to finish. I enjoyed it so much I decided I'd do it again this year, but try to make it better. :)

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So - here we are as of June 19th. Even though the sunflowers got a later start this year than last, I see they are pretty close to the same size now - judging by the pics posted before. We have had excellent growing weather, with some wonderful rainstorms, the most recent being yesterday and last night. The volunteer St. John's wort and fleabane are opening buds now; should start seeing some of the smaller stuff blooming soon - flax, poppies, calendula, etc. Will post again...

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the progress on the Sunflower House. The St John's wort, scarlet runner beans, evening stock and blue flax are in full bloom. And you can see some of the sunflowers putting on some height now.

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As of July 9th. It will be fine, as long as the cats don't knock everything down while they have their playtime. :)

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Progress as of 7-20-14. Catchfly is blooming - that's the pink stuff. Sunflowers still have a ways to go.

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1st sunflower is blooming now. Actually there are two - the other is a Lemon Queen which is around the right side, not showing in this pic. The yellow St John's wort has finished blooming, so I've sheared the tops - could possibly have another flush of flower in the fall. Also the annual blue flax is done, but I won't shear it as I plan to save as much seed as possible. Some of the morning glories are blooming now, but don't think there will be any of the Heavenly Blues. Will have to purchase new seed if I want to grow them next year. Should be seeing more sunflowers soon.

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sunflowers are blooming! More to come...

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still waiting for many of the Sunflowers, though it's clear that there won't be as many tall ones as last year. This may be because of the heavy under-planting I did of other wildflowers, though I did try to thin them as they were sprouting. The sunflowers say: "Not enough!" :)
    The white mass flowering in front of the Sunflower House is a cover crop of buckwheat which was sowed after the garlic was harvested.

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scarlet runner beans up close

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More sunflowers blooming!

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic from yesterday. There will still be more sunflowers to open, but this is probably the height of the bloom cycle. If I were to critique this 2nd year project, I'd have to say I could have neatened the appearance by mulching with straw heavily around the perimeter so that the "house" shows more clearly. Also, I didn't plant a second batch of scarlet runner beans as I had planned, and now that the first batch has set beans, it's stopped flowering. Might have to do this again next year, just to get it right...:)

• samhain10 - 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lily - thanks for the kind words! I did a Sunflower House #3 in 2015, but not in 2016. Didn't have set plans for 2017 since there is so much else to do this year. Maybe I'll plant some sunflower seeds and see if they decide to grow. There's still time in our zone 5.

- Alex