Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinnia_gw

Disabled gardener seeking online garden courses?

Zinnia
22 years ago

I am disabled and in a wheelchair. I can do very little physically, my DH does the planting and I do the planning. Gardening is a blessing to me, I began my perennial garden several years ago when I had to give up my career as an art teacher because of my illness. The fact that it is perennial gives me hope, even when my disease is flaring up I always have something to distract me and look forward to. It truly is a healing hobby and I'm so grateful my DH is willing to be my hands and muscles. I do enjoy creating bouquets for my home so my garden focuses on cut flowers but we are always branching out, this summer my DH made a lovely small pond with a waterfall for the birds which we also feed and watch, our backyard is like a Nature ceter. Currently we are making a shade bed with lots of hosta, I had know idea there were so many until I asked a few questions on the Hosta forum. I have learned so much from the great peaople on the gardenweb, I would also like to take an online course on gardening, something I could do at my own pace since I never know when I may need to be in the hospital. I'm thinking of something that repeats itself in intervals and has no cost. Barnes and Noble University offered a garden course in the spring but I didn't find out about until the last week and they are not currently offering any gardening courses. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Comments (8)

• deblux_2sight_net
    22 years ago

Try this link to your state extention office. They will give you free advice and more hope.
    deb Lux

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/

• lois_hamilton_verizon_net
    22 years ago

Hi,
    I just hit upon your message and find I am in the same position, well, sort of: I am also in a wheelchair and my "DH" (love it!) and aide helped plant a wonderful garden, including small fountain, for me on our deck. My son planted some perenials out from in an island which I can enjoy, also. Gone are the days of a big vegetable garden. Which perenials have you found to be the best for cutting? Have you found the class you were looking for?
    Lois

• speicherct_msn_com
    22 years ago

Hi Lois, Some perennial favorites for cut flowers include rudbedkia, coneflower, lythrum, red valarian, achillea, Becky daisies, foxglove,heliopsis,gayfeather and Dames rocket. I also like to plant a few zinnias,snapdragons and dahlias for all summer color. Your fountain on the deck sounds lovely. I have not found a gardening class online, I emailed our extention service but did not receive a reply. I need to check with Barnes and Noble to see if they are offering any new classes yet. Feel free to email anytime. Take Care. Zinnia

• Shee_la_Rose_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

Hello !!

I just wanted to let you guys know ... I HEAR YOU !! I am also a disabled gardener. My disablity (s) are mental.Can't tell you how many times over the past few years my garden , and how it makes me FEEL ... have actually saved my life !!

Research is and has been done that PROVES gardening is a wonderful source of therapy for ALL DISABILITIES !!

I am getting better...I KNOW I can help others to feel better also.I am WORKING ON not only a SITE , but ALSO software that will help all of us !! PLEASE watch for it !!

I am hoping SOMEONE here might be able to advise me as to where to go for help (finacial, ((i didn't spell that right did I ? )) and advisory as to Tech problems and education required.

SUNSHINE&SMILES!!
    shee PS ... I have MANY LINKS to help you ... contact me.

• Whitepinek
    22 years ago

Hi. If you don't mind paying a fee, there are a few online courses out there. Right now, I'm taking a course by Dr. Leonard Perry on garden plants, and as long as you don't want college credit, it's not too expensive-$100, I think. The content is really good: http://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/hgpo/hgpo.htm

• MountainMan
    22 years ago

If you're not opposed to paying there is a new self-study school of horticulture that I am just beginning which you may find interesting. I'm still waiting for the first course to arrive so I can't elaborate much yet. Take a look at at their web site for more information. -Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacifica's School of Practical Horticulture

• Shellyglu
    22 years ago

Hi,

If you haven't found it already, the National Gardening Association has 5 online courses. Very inexpensive--$35-$60. Click 'online courses' on the left of the home page. This is a great site for other reasons too. Good luck.
    Shelly

Here is a link that might be useful: National Gardening Association

• Amunhotep4th
    21 years ago

I don't know of any online courses for anyone. Such I freakin wish!!

Keep up the good work

You have some wonderful help!!! Keep up the good work :-) Plant what u want to plant (within reason). Sometimes old standbys can ease this problem. It's ur garden dood!

Good luck and god bless!!! :-)

Sponsored
More Discussions