Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veganmom30

Need plant suggestions

veganmom30
16 years ago

My kid and I are newbie gardeners.

I want to make a kiddie garden for her in one corner of the yard and am looking for child-safe plants that are easy growers.

It would be lovely to attract some butterflies and while I like the look of lantana or plumbago, I know both are toxic to kids. Anyone go another suggestion for a bushy butterfly plant that kept be kept trimmed low or grows naturally to no higher than 3 feet or so? I don't think i want an actual buddleia butterfly bush because they sound like they get way big. I want my child to be able to help prune and maintain when she wants to so I'm thinking shorter plants that to a toddler would seem big. Visibility is also important to me -- while I want HER to think she's in a secluded little space, I want to be able to just look over there and see her.

My idea is to plant some bushes behind the gazebo as a backrop and perhaps some flowers on fence planters along the fence that shows the beans. I want to put a sandbox on that side to complement the slide on the other side.

I also want to put a paver hopscotch path to the door and hang a second marigold pot to match the one already there on one side of the door.

If I can figure out the right plants, I wouldn't mind ringing the whole corner with this "hedge" so she can feel it's her own space.

Suggestions?

V.

Comments (6)

• cinderalla
    16 years ago

Wow, such a wonderful idea! How about those daisies, sunflowers, marigolds, lilies? There are a number of shrubs and herbs that barely grow more than a foot; are easy to maintain and look good too. Also, there are a number of plants that are just a height of the grass and bear lovely flowers.

Good luck and please do keep us updated.

• kek19
    16 years ago

What about growing Yarrow, Purple cone flowers, or Aster for attracting butterflies? Most shrubs I think will grow taller than you want. But you can always cut it back. Like w/ the Butterfly bush, you're in a warmer climate than I am, and mine dies to the ground in winter and comes back from the roots. So couldnt you cut it down to the ground in early spring, then just keep trimming it while its growing? It'll get really bushy then. Or you could try something like bush beans for bushes, and she can eat the beans. They have purple and yellow ones, could make veggies fun for her!

• burntplants
    16 years ago

Salvias all attract butterflies. And since they are related to the kitchen herb sage they are non-poisonous. Some are annual/perrenial depending on your climate. (Lots of perrenials in z9!)
    They can be trimmed as a short hedge, but the are deciduous, so it'll be a bit bare in the winter.
    There are lots of types--if you want more info, goto GW's Salvia forum. (I've never posted over there, but sometiems they have pics, so I lurk.)

Hibiscus and Turk's Cap (a native hibiscus whose flowers don't unfurl but does well in part shade) can be trimmed as a short hedge--but you have to be vigilant about trimming! I know the flowers are edible, but I don't know about the foliage.

Ruellia (Mexican petunia) grows about 3' tall (as long as you don't buy the "Katie" dwarf variety.) It has a similar look as bamboo, with petunia-like flowers on it. It comes in purple, pink, and white. You'll have to check on it's toxicity, but it's great for kids because the flowers only last one day so they can pick them to their heart's content!
    Caterpillars like to eat it, so it's a butterfly host plant.

Larval host plants that also have flowers for the adult butterflies are great for kids because they can see the complete life-cycle (and what kid doesn't like to watch caterpillars?)

Vicky's blog!

• person123
    15 years ago

How about some easy to grow vegetables? That way you can tie gardening in with other activities, like helping in the kitchen. Some bright flowers might also be nice.

• moonsanity
    15 years ago

Nasturtiums and calendula are non-toxic and edible, plus they are pretty colors, easy to grow and kids love them!

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

My daughter planted four o clocks that reseeded themselves, Now any that come up are her flowers and she didn't have to do a thing this year. She was also facinated by the fact that they don't open till it's darker.

Oh and pansies and violas are edible so if you put those in it won't matter is she tries one.