Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what are your favorite children's garden/nature books

Posted by daughternature 7 GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 02 at 15:29

Some of my favorite books are:

The Herbalist of Yarrow by Shatoiya de la Tour - a young girl learns the importance of herbs and their healing powers.

Elfait - an ABC of Elves by Jane Yolen- each page has plants and animals that begin with each letter of the alphabet.

Apricot ABC by Miska Miles - an apricot falls from the tree and as each animal and insect comes to investigate, it slowly evolves from seed to a new tree.

Bear and Bunny Grow Tomatoes by Bruce Koscielniak - Bear tends his garden everyday, Bunny is very lazy and does not. In the end Bear has all the vegetables but is kind enough to share with Bunny.

I read to my daughter alot and being that I am a gardener and she spends a lot of time outside with me, I would love to have some other suggestions to add to our library.

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what are your favorite children's garden/nature books

I don't know your daughter's age, but I teach four-year-olds and have many nice picture books in the classroom library, some about nature and gardening (I will add your suggestions to my shopping list). I'm on summer vacation now, but these are a few good ones I can recall:

My Big Book of Outdoors - nature
Anno's Counting Book - nature
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (I get choked up reading that one)
The Empty Pot
The Carrot Seed
The Little Red Hen
The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle

-- Janene

o

I like:
Patty's Pumpkin Patch
The Sacarecrow by Cynthia Rylant

o

Roots Boots Buckets & Shoots - fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening with Kids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here