Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amts_gw

update on Sunflower House.

amts
21 years ago

Wanted to start "just after last frost" at the "After School Program" at my son's Elementary school. Was told soil was "Great", but it was just very sandy and little Humus. Director wanted to keep Sweet peas in. I had asked for stakes @ each corner of 10 foot plot.

Reality...I had to go there middle of May and get the thing going all by myself. No stakes.

So: Sunflowers are going to bloom soon and only come to my chest. Only 3 plants of Morning glory even flowered. No real "walls" as Sweet peas along one edge stopped anything from growing there. Many of the plants are mutilated and crushed from a bevy of little feet tromping on them!

So, for next year...Will amend the soil in Winter. Get husband to come and help me put in stakes and get the yellow Caution Tape up.

Good News: Kids had a really great time helping me plant everything dispite my subsequent Migrane! 18 year old "helper" xeroxed Calendar pages and has been having the kids water and fertilize.(This must be good) Kids are excited and pleased dispite the rather lackluster results from an adult Point of view!!! AMS

Comment (1)