Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Bleeding Heart folklore

lisa_a
22 years ago

I've heard that there is a folklore story about bleeding hearts but I've been unable to find more about this. It involves a

princess - sorry I don't know more details. If it rings a bell with people their response is usually along the lines of "yeah, that's familiar" but that's as far as I've gotten. I don't know if it is about native bleeding hearts or the old-fashioned type but I'd love to find the story.

I'm posting this on several other forums on this site because someone out there has to know, right? btw, a search on this site turned up nothing but if someone knows it was discussed and when and where, I'd love to know. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for sharing this and responding to my long ago post!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oops, someone emailed me asking if the above story was copyrighted. I accidently deleted the email. If you are out there, the answer is above. I'm the one who asked for the story, not supplied it. You'd have to ask the original author (see above) for permission to reprint.

• swampLily
    20 years ago

I love that story. I can't wait till spring to show it to my daughter!

• dhomieZ8
    20 years ago

how do you take care of bleeding heart on winter? i just bought one last spring and i would like know,please help winter

• jel48
    18 years ago

dhomie, I know your question was long ago and I suppose you know by now how to take care of a bleeding heart in winter, but the real answer is.... you don't! I live in Z4 and don't do a thing for mine. They tend to die back in the fall, by winter there is nothing above ground, and then the next spring they come back bigger and lovlier then ever. The perfect plant :-)

• tagz
    18 years ago

Just what I was looking for! Mom told me the story when I was little, couldn't remember all of it. As I recall, Mom broke up the heart and made earrings and a magic wand. I think I like your story better though. Thanks for giving me a story I can tell my three year old son.

• tazdevyl1
    18 years ago

So THATs the story. Ive been trying to find it as well. Altho I had found on a another site what it makes when pulled apart..however mine was 2 question marks and an exclamation point. I bought my bleeding heart last year, and it quadrupled its size already. The common pink. I have no acquired the pure white, AND I got my hands on the yellow. Well the seeds for it anyway. Have to wait and see if they take. Package says 14-28 days. GRR

• underwood_2010
    14 years ago

This is to TazDevy11 I would like to know where you found your yellow bleeding heart. I had one given to me a few years age and it was beautful but neighbors cats ruined it have not been able to find one would really be greatful for the help.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Great story! I know they're looking for stories like this on the potager forum...all about legends of plants used in potagers and gardens. Thanks for bringing this post back up to the top :)

I hope you find your yellow bleeding heart.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Just bumping this up, since I recommended the story to the potager forum :)

• joda3285_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have not heard this story, but years ago, an old-timer(Mr. Lambert) told me about the bleeding heart flower. "Finding Grandma's glasses" Taking the pedals off to have two rabbits, then seeing a hand held HARP, removing the sides of the Harp, to see a bottle, then splitting the bottle, ( at the top or bottom?) and having a pair of eye glasses, that he referred to as Grandma's glasses. My grandaughter, Julia, did this every summer, for years. Her joy, in this accomplishment , still makes me smile.

• apetersen219_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I've been searching for the one my grandma would tell me. It had slippers, a babys bottle and some other stuff. It seems like there were so many variations! I planted one years ago in he honor even though I can't remember her story :)

Sponsored
More Discussions