Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_265133

Emotions and feelings in the garden

Mário Alves
24 years ago

I´m doing an essay about the importance of ours differents senses when among gardens and its consequences to human behaviour, mainly emotions and feelings that can be brot up.

If anyone feels confortable enough to share your experience and knoledge about this theme, I would deeply appreciate!

(Sorry for my bad english...)

Mário Alves, Landscape Designer.

Comments (11)

• Elizabeth
    24 years ago

Mario, I have to say that gardening is my therapy. I find a sense of peace while gardening, whether it's deadheading, weeding or other routine chores, that escapes me in my daily life. There is real joy in working alongside buzzing bees and being pleasantly surprised by a hummingbird or a colorful butterfly. It's a back-to-nature, real connection to Mother Earth, almost religious in its ability to inspire awe. I hope this helps you with your essay!

• Leilani
    24 years ago

Mario, I feel the same way Elizabeth does. It's my therapy, too. No matter how bad a day I've had at work, time spent caring for my garden makes everything right again. I also feel that gardens make us understand how the world works, and things seem to make sense. When we see firsthand how what we do to the earth affects so many living things, it makes us more careful about how we walk this planet. I also find that my garden gives me hope. I know that when something goes dormant for the Winter it will be back in Spring to cheer us all, and that when the Spring flowers fade others will come to spend the Summer. It makes me always have something to look forward to.

• liz
    24 years ago

Mario, I have been gardening for 17 years and it continues to be a rewarding and satisfying learning experience. In the winter, I relax with my gardening books and magazines. During this time I read about plants to find out what would work best in my yard and I work on garden designs. In the spring I love the feeling of creating a soon to be work of art. I am not the least bit artistic when it comes to drawing and painting but in my garden I feel as if I am an artist!In the summer I am always out working in the yard. Not only do I find this relaxing but it is also a great social event, in that, all of the neighbors come over to talk about flowers, shrubs, etc. Another thing I like about gardening is that it is always changing. My job may stay the same day to day but, my garden can always be changed. If I don't like a color combination or a plant I just take it out and put something else in it's place. The garden is a place for me to dream, work out problems in my head, etc. The emotions and feelings I feel in my garden are very strong, they would include contentment, thoughtfullness, and hopeful!

• SamSam
    24 years ago

It's good for my soul to get down in the dirt and connect with the earth. My Dad says that's too "New Age'y," but, hey, it was his mom who told me that, whenever things got to be "a bit much," she put her hands in the dirt and felt better. Priorities get back into perspective, y'know? Having a little hand in the natural cycle of life restores my faith...

• Lucile Clancy
    24 years ago

It was a joy to read messages to Mario.
    Having grown up on a farm and now living on another
    where we raised eight children.....I find gardening
    to be a challenge, a wonderful way to get out
    and enjoy God's creation. The miracle of a tiny
    seed growing into a beautiful flower or a tasty,
    nutritious vegetable.....reminds me to Praise the
    One who made us all!

• Becky
    23 years ago

Hello Mario! In the middle of winter I feel some small amount of comfort knowing there are people still thinking about their gardens. I miss mine everyday. It is only winter, I have 4 months to go, and I count down the days. I have 45 houseplants and a small greenhouse, but it's not the same. I dream about the warm air on my skin, the smell of dirt, the sight of dusk and dawn. I want to see the plants wake again to the daylight, the birds, the bugs, to be at peace with myself and nature. I am addicted to gardening. I have never been so in love with something in my life. And as I sit here on a cold winter night it's -25c I feel a world away from my garden. Last spring I saw my plants coming back from the winter, and I felt as though my babies were back. Then I felt crazy. That is until I was recently reading a garden book and when the author stated the same thing, I think I literally let out a sigh of relief. I miss my garden so much, but I try to take this time to read and relax, but deep down I want my plants. Because the truth is, I can't relax without my 500 plants. So, until then, I guess I'll just have to dream about a far away place...my backyard.

• Jan
    23 years ago

Mario,
    When my dad was sick and dying I took up gardening. It was cheaper than a therapist! I planted as many brightly colored flowers as I could........from bachelor buttons to giant Dalias.......every color I could find........the brighter the better. From the planting of the seed to the snipping of the flower to give to friends and neighbors......it gave me strength and hope that life will go on........and I could be part of thant.

• deblux
    22 years ago

Mario,
    How did your article make out? All the posting seemed to be where I was a year ago. Only now as a full time gardener I'm finding a need for almost the opposite. That's for what ever reason I used gardening for in the past. Were you able to collect other information about the down side to gardening. I would like to read your article. Could you send me a copy? deb Lux

• AM Steinmetz
    22 years ago

I've owned 5 houses before this one, but a 1/2 acre "fixer" has put me in a whole new league...

Over the last 4 years here I've come closer to understading the earth, the seasons, Heavenly Father and my connection with them. I appreciate this new awareness very much. Gardening feeds my soul,,,don't know how else to put it.

I enjoy sharing Gardening with my son and even though he's only 5 now have seen numerous ways that he is more "connected" and respectful to life, the earth, and the small animals in the Garden... AMS

• jeanneg99
    21 years ago

For me, gardening is memory. Plants, scents, colors, textures, all of these evoke memories of my parents, my grandparents, and others who I have gardened with but who have passed on. To garden is like a form of prayer for me and it brings back those whom I have lost.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting