Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kctomato1

help with resources for Gardening with autistic kiddos

KCtomato1
21 years ago

I have written several Hort Therapists and searched around but find no information specifically on gardening with autistic kids.

I suspect since autism is a spectrum disorder that it would be difficult to write about.

Sure I know basics like being a safe and secure place. That is my life right now anyway. I looking more for specifics or experiences.

My son seems to like the garden but I sure would like to develop a more directed approach particularily with sensory issues. He is only 3 but he loves to touch the heads of coneflowers for the texture. Interestingly enough he has no interest in lamb's ear. Things like that have sparked my curiosity in pursuing something that allows our worlds to come together and thought I might not have to reinvent the wheel.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Keith

Comments (7)

• petaloid
    21 years ago

I searched too and couldn't find anything specifically about gardening. However, I have noticed our neighbor's autistic son loves to water their garden -- maybe that's something your little guy would enjoy.

• periwinklez3b
    21 years ago

KCtomato1: Let's put our heads together. I'm a service coordinator/Early Intervention-Birth to Three, an "old" mom and a gardener.

Has your child been in Birth to Three or Early Childhood?
    Has an Occupational Therapist worked with him?

If so, was there discussion about the following:
    1. Does he like "light touch" or "deep touch"?
    2. Is he on a "sensory diet"?
    3. Does he like water?
    4. Is he sensory defensive?

Should we start there? I think it's wonderful that you want to expose him to gardening--a super place for exposure to sensory experiences. If he's in Early Childhood or works with an OT, I would ask for guidance. Do remember though, that (YOU) know him better than anybody.

• KCtomato1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks for the responses

I actually have an undergrad degree in Hort Therapy but went on to pursue other things in grad school. I'm not as "up" on HT issues anymore. I was hoping I wouldnt have to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

I dont specifically recall anything specific to autism and gardening in my studies. Perhaps this is something I should research and possibly write a book on.

The sensory things are issues which I have picked up on and is what got me wondering how I could develop something for his needs.

It is much too complex for me to type all his sensory issues - they vary. I suppose in general he is not an "avoider" but he does avoid somethings. Lately he doesnt seem to like crickets or cicads at night and holds his hands over his ears.

I'll try to update people on what I have found.

{{gwi:1275964}}

Best Wishes
    Keith

• lynda_ne
    21 years ago

KCTomato1: My own son was diagnosed with PDD when he was a 4 yo. He didn't have a lot of sensory issues but he did have some (he's now 11 - almost 12) and there are still some issues. Noise has always been a bother for him (interestingly, he's been taking drum lessons, is good at it, and loves it!). Anyway, my boy has always been an outdoorsy kid. He has learned to adjust to or avoid the situations that annoy him the most.

I don't know how much you have educated yourself about autism, but you will soon discover that nothing definite that has been printed will actually "work" for our kids. Like Periwinkle said, you know your child best and you will be able to sense what pleases and displeases your son (at least for the moment. These kids seem to change so often!).

When my son was in Early Childhood Education, we did a lot of "trial and error" to figure out a teaching style. My son is very definitely a "visual learner" and so we ran with those strengths. Consequently, those visual skills have now created for him a greater sense of his world around him. He still has difficulty in human relationships but his relationship with the outdoors and animals is terrific to watch.

Interestingly enough, my son used to be terrified of cicada shells but yet he'd pick up a worm to feed to a turtle. Now he can identify butterflies and birds not only by their appearance but by the sounds they make (the birds, not the butterflies:) ) And he'll definitely correct you if you call a cicada a locust!

By the way, your little guy is beautiful - looks a little like mine. You will learn much from him - he will actually teach you, not you teach him! Feel free to email me if you ever need to.

Lynda

• katybird_PA
    21 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but the topic is near and dear. I work in the field of Developmental disabilities and have a 4 year old son with PDD. Because of my job I had a great network of resources and information to draw upon for my son. One of the best interventions for him has been Greenspans "Floor time."
    It is a very easy flexible way of increasing communication and improving interaction and could done in the garden as easily as any other location. It bascially involves observing your child and watching his reactions and intersts, approaching and opening a circle of communication, following the child's lead, extending or expanding your child's chosen activity and allowing them to close the circle of communication. I can't explain it very well here, but do a search on google.
    My son's favorite garden activity is to scoop a handfull of freshly tilled dirt and slowly pour it over his other hand. He also likes to water and feel it pour over his hand.
    Just learned about floortime this fall and I like it very much because it shows respect for the childs preferences and feels better and more intuitive than other teaching styles we tried (but every child is different). I look forward to trying to turn floor time into garden time.
    Please keep us updated on any interesting info you come across and good luck to you and your beautiful boy.

• Amunhotep4th
    21 years ago

This post is totally in REVERSE!!

How do you deal with a kid age 16 with a 160 IQ who wants to be a botanist?

I am related to such a person. She, her family and I have researched this and there are so many fields about botany and related science.

Where are the "best" schools? Are there specialized schools for this?

This kid has been talking, breathing botany since she was age 6 and right now is a true walking encyclopedia about plants and such. Phenonimal is'nt just an understatement.

She leans into paleo-botany one minute and into forensic science with the police or FBI.

This kid has potential far greater than ordinary people like you and I! How do we (parents, relatives and friends( guide her)? Should we just back off and let her "find" herself?

Comments appreciated!

• KCtomato1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Yes there are many fields to go into.

Botany or horticulture and many breakdowns from there.
    PLant Pathology, Physiology, Breeding, taxonomy. etc...

Botany being what are the groups of plants, how related and lots of anatomy and taxonomy.

Horticulture is more concerned with the science of how the plants grow.

One of the better schools for botany with excellent resources is Washington University in St Louis. They are affilated with the Botanical Gardens there and have research projects going on all over the world. WU is expensive.

Harvard is another for botany in general but if the young man has a special interest he should see where that research is and head off in that direction. There are plenty of bright people in college (not so bright too!) but if he is motivated, a decent Prof will pick up on that and he should pursue the Prof doing what interests him. A good professor is looking for such bright motivated types for more than just grad student slaves! The student should challenge the professor as well.

Most schools have botany studies but one with active programs in an area of interest is advisable.

Top schools for Horticulture (not in any order)
    Purdue
    Cornell
    UC Davis
    NCSU
    TAMU
    Penn State
    UF

Keith