Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willowlea

Earth/Art therapy group with middle schoolers

willowlea
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

My name is Kim and I am a Licensed Professional Counselor working in a school system in Georgia. A colleague and I are starting a new therapy group soon focused on using concepts from both ecotherapy and art therapy for students presenting with some sort of mental health concern. I have some questions and am asking for any suggestions on how to go about a special project we want to do in the group. My colleague and I plan to have all the middle schoolers (about 6-10) paint a 12" terra cotta pot on the first night of group and then plant spring-blooming bulbs in the containers to have for display at our final spring art exhibit. With this particular group, the focus is more on the metaphor of nurturing than on the actual specifics of learning about bulbs. Of course I want them to learn that too, but again, the focus is on resiliency, hope, nurturance, etc. The group starts October 6.

Here are my main questions:

1. What is the best soil and/or amendments to use?

2. Can I leave the containers outside or do I need to put in garage over the winter?

3. What would be a few good combinations of bulbs to plant together? I want to ensure that these will bloom for the kids.

4. Along with that last question, what bulbs are known to bloom when? I want to plan appropriate time for the final exhibit so the bulbs will be in bloom.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or suggestions you have to offer!

Thanks,

Kim

Sponsored