Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juanital_gw

A Vine playhouse? What do you think?!!!

juanital
19 years ago

Hi All, I've been going through GW Forums and finally got to this one. Per chance, my kids and I were looking through the garden that is full and lush. They put in manual labor for the flower beds and I finished with the planting and etc.... We noticed how the morning glories had crossed over one of the walk ways (toward top of walkway)..as i have them growing along both sides of walkway plus a corner on one of them, at this time they are all beautiful leaved in and runneres still reaching out..I noticed they looked like they were in a playhouse with me looking in on the garden through the opening in the walkway...Guess what? we have a project to make next year a playhouse or'an enclosure'!!! (for older ones sake) with morning glories next year (or any other kind of vine that will do the same thing,also the one that didn't have a corner ,I planted cosmos. (I'll try to post some pictures) I thought I would pass this idea on to you ...The kids and are excited. I use to be a homeschooling Mom for about 12 years..in Oregon, and Pennslyvania..The ones that are still at home are in public school now, but 'one' wants to be homeschooled...I'm not sure I'm up to it...Its a lot of work!!! My hats off to you who do so. Hope to hear about what you think about this! :)

Comments (10)

• DurtyKneez
    19 years ago

Juanita -
    It is a fun and enchanting idea. As you know - morning glories are vigorous sprouters, with an amazing number of offshoots. The more wire or string narrow lines you have for their delicate tendrils to grasp on, the fuller and wider your final effect will be. They will cover fencing (like chicken wire) beautifully and completely. I sense a tradition in the making - as well as some great gardeners blooming. We all look forward to photos next season.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    (C'mon, weren't some of those homeschooling days great :) ?

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Sunflowers make great 'walls' for outdoor rooms.

• madmom
    19 years ago

Last year my daughter and I made a teepee with morning glories. We just inserted the poles in the ground tied them on top , covered it with chicken wire and planted morning glories. It turned out great. Unfortunately I had a "senior moment" and forgot to take pictures. Will definately remember next year. ( I hope )

• sundae
    19 years ago

Made a morning glory house last year. Used pvc pipe and chicken wire. Arched the pipes over and the vines grew all over the chicken wire it was way cool. Cucumbers also grew on this at the same time.

Next project we will do next year is use some old livestock panels and make a bigger structure to grow gourds on. my 7 yr. old was out with me everyday this year just a watching those things grow.

Sandy

• robarnold
    19 years ago

I'm planning on trying this as well. I saw a pic of a grinning kid in a vine playhouse in a book _A Child's Garden_ (full of good ideas, btw) and was convinced in an instant I needed to do this.

I'm using purple hyacinth beans however, already have the seeds. I'll use some leftover cedar from the deck to build the frame, which should have doors and windows.

Also: my first post after a long time lurking!

• Butterflygal1
    19 years ago

I think it sounds like a lot of fun. I am a kid myself so I should know. Your idea is really neat. GOOD LUCK!!! ---Butterflygal

• limhyl
    19 years ago

I've seen pictures of walls made with tall sunflowers and then filled in with runner beans or other vigorous vines. Pretty cool. Theresa.

• witsend22
    19 years ago

Just don't use poison ivy lol. Had to say it.

• gardener_weedin
    18 years ago

Very similar project, my Uncle did the same with Giant Sunflowers and Pole beans, planted aternately, in a large square, fun place to hide!

• garden_fever_girl
    18 years ago

I'm dying to get my hands on some PVC to make a TP for each of my four kids this year- I saw the plans for it in OG magazine! But the house might be more sensible since more than one kid would fit in it at a time. HMMM...wonder where I could get some chicken wire? That sounds like such a great idea!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz